Thursday, January 16, 2014

So here's a question for you …

Continuing the conversation from yesterday, in which I contemplated hanging out here (12 pounds above goal weight) for a while.

My reason for wanting to go lower is to get to a normal BMI. Losing 12 more pounds would let me squeak into the tippy-top of the normal range. And buy new clothes. Heh.

I've done little true research into the importance or health benefits of being at a BMI of 24.99 or below. I know only that once you hit a BMI of 25 you're overweight. My current BMI is 27. Ish.

I've also read that a paleo plan isn't good for you. (The conclusions presume the FDA knows what's good for each and every one of us. I think the FDA knows what's good for Big Food and Big Agriculture. BUT THAT'S JUST ME!)

One of you anonymously commented that I've developed a new relationship with food. [And called me "pal."] Would love to know who you were, so I can thank you personally for that attagirl. You're absolutely correct. I have changed how I relate to food, and it's all for the better.

  • I don't prowl the refrigerator or pantry searching for something when I'm not otherwise occupied.
  • I don't crave starchy carbs. In fact, I don't crave anything.
  • I eat when I'm hungry. (That was always such a difficult concept for me. I used to offer some treat or other to my husband, who would say, "No, thank you. I'm not hungry." And I was like, "What difference does that make? It tastes good!")
  • Sometimes I have to stay hungry for a little while until I can prepare something to assuage the hunger. AND I DON'T DIE WHILE I'M WAITING.

I won't go so far as to say food is simply fuel. I have truly enjoyed the off-plan foods I've eaten at birthdays and during the holidays. Special foods for special occasions are fun, and I've adopted the philosophy that if you want to eat cake, eat REAL cake. Don't try to substitute an almond-flour concoction topped with coconut-cream-frosting IF YOU WANT REAL CAKE. (Although that recipe sounds pretty good and pretty easy.)

But here's what I enjoy even more:

  • No hip pain.
  • No metal allergy.
  • Increased energy.
  • Increased mobility.

And a new one I just discovered a couple weeks ago. I used to have a superficial blood clot on my right ankle. It was pressing on a nerve, which resulted in the top of my foot and my ankle being perpetually numb. Which is waaaaaaay different from comfortably numb.

But I digress.

At one point I was so worried about this huge lump on my ankle that I went to the doctor. To illustrate the depth of my concern: This began a couple years ago, prior to implementation of the Affordable Care Act, when I had to pay full price for an office visit.

Dr. C was reassuring. Superficial clots aren't harmful, just ugly unsightly. He said I'd probably always have it, but sometimes they dissolve spontaneously.

The fact that the clot is now gone could be completely unrelated to my change in diet. I'd have to do some research to determine if there is a physiological connection. The coincidence is unmistakable, however, and I'm not turning back. Speaking only for me, a paleo plan offers too many benefits to return to a Standard American Diet.

And if you're still wondering exactly what paleo is, here's a flowchart. Because it's FUN.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...