Saturday, February 15, 2014

Three days

Today will be the third consecutive day I haven't walked. I shoveled snow Thursday and I shoveled a lot more snow Friday, and during the Friday session tweaked my right knee and left ankle.

And even if my lower limbs were functioning perfectly, we're in the midst of that old familiar wintry mix, accompanied by very cold temperatures and very gusty winds. I can barely see the top of the mountain a half-mile to the west.

This winter has worn out its welcome.

And it's also worn my psyche and emotions down, down, down. I haven't felt this out of sorts in a long time. I want to dive into food, and I'll admit I've done a bit of that. Fortunately the food around here is pretty clean and on plan, but still. I'd rather just eat food, and not use it.

It's going to take some effort to get back on track. The best way for me to do that is to take a matter-of-fact attitude about the whole thing.

  • Yes, winter sucks.
  • No, there's nothing I can do about it.
  • So, I might as well do the next right thing.

What I should do today would be to pick up where I left off with the organizing and decluttering and tidying up.

But maybe I'll go finish the endless socks I started a couple weeks ago. (Only the toes on both + 15 more rows on one and they'll be ready to wash/block/dry/send to their new owner!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there babe...I know exactly how you feel. However it still looks like Monday may be a possibility...40's. Of course that depends on wind and no report on that yet. But picture us parking our car in the church parking lot...it's Spring, it's in the 50's. The calves are running in the green fields and the creek is babbling along side of us. And...we do 6 miles because we've got the time and we're in great shape (that last is for me, you know I need to work up to 6 :>) It's coming!

denise said...

What Lynne said - Hang in There - this too shall pass…just later than you want it to. I'm still not hating it like most folks, but have to say it is pretty inconvenient today, as we are getting an additional 4+ this morning on top of the 9 from Thursday, so driving for me is out of the question today, and it would be nice to be able to go to the drug store and get some stuff.

I just raided my mother's drug cabinet and found that all cold-related items are expired - by years. So I'm sticking with the lemon, honey, tea, etc. that we have on hand. Totally bummed that I've caught a cold - such a hassle! But then, on the other hand, a good reason to veg out on the couch and catch up on TV stuff! I might even get a cross-stitch project out to keep me occupied, who knows.

Winnie said...

I have had it with the snow this year. 15 inches Weds and it is snowing again as I type. I can't keep up with it, and can't drive on it (hubby has to drive me). Had to take off work as last Weds I got stuck in Manhattan with no LIRR for hrs. I am tempted to flee to AZ if this keeps up (but I hate heat...ha ha). Be safe!!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...