Saturday, March 1, 2014

Good day for a reboot

The first day of any month is a good day to start over, yes? And so today's the day for me. Enough nibbling, enough poking around the edges of paleo, time to get back on board and work it, baby!

Because it really does work. FOR ME.

Jen's comment about a plan being defined by what isn't has a ring of truth to it. When I describe paleo, I don't say enthusiastically that you can eat all the vegetables you want. Maybe I should, as that frames it in a more user-friendly way.

Maybe.

No, I say paleo means no, no, no, no: no sugar, no grains, no legumes and no dairy. But honestly? I don't miss it much at all. Especially when I stay away from it. Just one Hershey's Kiss has been enough to make me want more.

Jen also says it must be hard to climb back on, and she's oh-so-right about that. Which proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that grains and sugar, especially, are like crack for me. (Strangely, I've not missed peanuts or beans at all, and I'm able to tolerate dairy in limited amounts.)

The other thing I'm really missing is that daily walk. I got five miles in yesterday, and am hoping for four/five/six today. Rain is approaching and my walking date is at 1 p.m., so we'll see what happens.

I still have the elliptical. Maybe THAT will happen. That's how committed I am.

Or maybe I need to be committed? Heh.

Anyway … taking a break from daily writing has been a good thing for both of us, probably. The 20-week abortion ban bill is still working its way through the legislature and that's all I can think about. Instead of railing about it here, I've been writing to Delegates and Senators and TV station managers and anyone else who has a say in the issue. Some of our Delegates have been real champions for women's rights.

Mine? Not so much.

I'm going to try my darndest not to bring it up here again until it's resolved – either killed in committee (which is what I hope happens) or voted on (which almost certainly means it will pass). Film at 11 on Tuesday (that's when Health and Human Services is taking it up).

In other news: If you appreciate good writing and satire (in a Jonathan Swift-esque style), do not waste any more time. Go read this.

MaƱana!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...