Thursday, March 13, 2014

So yesterday was a pretty good day

Yesterday I logged seven miles walking, 2.95 in the morning rain, from the service station (where I dropped my car off for an overdue oil change) to the dentist's and back, and 4.05 in the afternoon down by the creek with my husband. We managed to make it back to the car just as it began to rain again. We really did pick the perfect window of opportunity.

Today I think we'll be staying indoors. The wind has been blowing nearly nonstop since yesterday afternoon. The temperature has plummeted – it's now a balmy 17°. And it's snowing, but not enough to stick. There's a dusting on the driveway and porch, but I don't expect any accumulation. Should be back in the 50s tomorrow. Maybe this is winter's last gasp. I certainly hope so.

I've walked 178 miles this year so far. I might have to re-evaluate the 1500-mile goal I set for 2014. I must average more than 4.5 miles per day, every day, for the remainder of this year in order to make it. That will be challenging. I could try for five miles every possible day, to give myself a cushion, but there will be lots of impossible days this spring, with a travel schedule that is unusually busy for me.

Oh, well. Not much point in setting a goal if it isn't challenging, right?

We ate bacon-wrapped chicken tenderloins for dinner last night along with a delicious side of mixed fresh vegetables. It did take some time to prep, but once I threw everything in a saucepan it cooked itself down to a yummy concoction that I will definitely do again and again.

Sautéed Mixed Fresh Vegetables
  • Bacon grease (or olive oil)
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped into large pieces
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 red pepper, sliced and diced into large pieces
  • 1 yellow squash, halved and sliced
  • 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
  • 1 small container fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Roma tomatoes or 1 slicing tomato, chopped
  • Sea salt, freshly ground pepper
I had some odd little pieces of bacon left after I put the chicken in the oven, so I cooked those in a skillet and used the grease to sauté the onion and garlic. After a couple minutes, I added the celery and red pepper. Allow those ingredients to soften, then add remaining vegetables and cook on medium heat for about five minutes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 20 minutes or so – less if you like crisper vegetables, more if your entrée isn't quite done.

This is one of those dishes that you could add just about anything to – black olives would be good, as would fresh cauliflower.

It makes a lot – I'm guessing it would serve a family of four normal people – but my husband and I had no leftovers. Which is kind of sad, now that I have a nice big refrigerator in which to store them!

Hope you both have a great day. I think I'm going to get my crafty on and finish a couple little knitting projects while I begin watching Breaking Bad.

Yes, sadly, I'm the last person on the planet who's seen it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha I'm the second-to-last person on the planet to see BB. I don't have cable, so I don't see these things until they make it to Netflix.

I think you'll like it. It didn't seem like my cup of tea, so I was surprised at how much I did like it. Different seasons wax and wane, as series do, but overall it just has SO many good performances that the actors always carry it over any weak spots.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...