Friday, June 27, 2014

More gardening

So yesterday was fun. I filled the back of our pick-up truck with a variety of shade-loving perennials and then came home and started putting them in the ground.

SO fun! Heh.

I'm quite sore this morning. And I'm not at all done planting everything, not by a long shot. And I'll probably have to go back and get more plants, so I'm really not done.

These are what's left to be planted. Hoping I
can get them all in today. If not? OH, WELL.
The beds along the driveway will, eventually, have something growing there that will live, or at least I keep hoping. If these don't make it, I'm going to remove the rock walls and plant grass seed.

The maples on either side of the driveway keep the center section in shade virtually all the time. So I'm putting ferns and shade-loving ground cover plants there. Each end has ornamental grasses, day lilies and dwarf spirea, and I have a few other little things to fill in as needed.

Yesterday's efforts involved a gas-powered tiller, a hoe, a shovel, a wheelbarrow, a trowel, my hands and knees, and three lengths of garden hose.

My attitude toward these never-ending garden chores is improving. As I mentioned a month or so ago, if I just do a little bit each day, eventually it will all get done. I'm glad I'm not having a big reunion where everything has to look good at the same time. 'Cause that ain't happening this year.

But each little area that gets weeded and trimmed and tidied up gives me a sense of accomplishment. I don't feel overwhelmed, thinking I have to do it all.

What a concept!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...