Skip to main content

Nothing to worry about, right?

Friday the 13th.

Full moon.

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

In fact, if the skies are clear this evening, the rising moon could be a spectacular sight. Yet another opportunity for me to wish I'd bought a long lens for the DSLR camera. But those times are rare, and others are much better photographers than I.

I remember one time I wanted to get a shot of a super moon rising over the Appalachian Mountains, which I can see from my back porch. I thought driving to a nearby church cemetery on a hilltop would give me a better view of it, but when I got there it was nowhere to be found in the sky. I'd seen it from the back yard, but less than half a mile away the angle from the hilltop provided no view of it at all.

Weird. Anyway, I'll be checking the sky tonight and hoping to get a glimpses of the Honey Moon. A full moon on Friday the 13th won't happen again in my lifetime unless I live to be 98. I guess that's possible, but as far as I know no one in my family has lived that long, so I'm not counting on it.

I've been feeling … not quite right, lately. My unease is a combination of physical and emotional symptoms including odd and irritating rashes, headaches and crushing fatigue.

If I don't get something done in the morning, for example, when my energy level is at its highest, it doesn't get done. Like dinner. Forget dinner. Last night I told my husband how to cook sausage links on the George Foreman grill. (He is definitely domestically challenged.) I ate a bowl of watermelon, which I'd cut up earlier in the day.

Thank the goddess, or I would have gone to bed without any supper at all.

As it was, I watched the 6:30 p.m. headlines and was in bed and asleep by 7. I woke up at 6:30 this morning. I'm physically ready to get some things done, but the emotional part of me says it can wait until later.

Malaise. Fatigue. Depression? Maybe. I've nothing to be depressed about, but that's not stopped me before. Endogenous depression (diagnosed by my doctor) has plagued me at various times in my life, but only once have I taken medication for it. And even then, I didn't take it for very long. It made me feel … flat. In the end, the downs were worth it, because I also had ups. On medicine, I had neither.

As I told a friend recently, my motto used to be, "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." I don't live by that credo any longer, but I do like a little excitement now and then. It can be as simple as noticing the green beans are coming up in the garden (they are!), or as thrilling as watching a full moon rising.

On Friday the 13th.


Toledo Lefty said…
Maybe there is a hormonal issue at play? This just doesn't sound like you. When my thyroid started to go I felt tired all the time, had headaches and was irritable.
denise said…
If I thought it would do any good, I would do my best Cher imitation and tell you to "Snap outta it"! But sadly, it sounds like that won't do the job in this case.

I think TL has a good idea to have checked out. Thyroids can be tricky things - especially as we get older.

In any case, I hope you're feeling much, much better very, very soon!

On the topic of the full moon, I feel the same way - it's events like this that always make me wish I had a better camera/lens. But then I realize how few those occasions are, so I don't want to invest in actually getting anything. In fact, I rarely use any camera except what is on my iPhone these days.

P.S. UGH - I'm back to having to switch to Chrome to make comments. Now I need to go back and figure out how I "fixed" the issue with Safari the last time :-(
You're so good about listening ot your body, I know you'll figure this out. Could it be a subconcious stress? Is there an anniversary of some stressful even coming up? I'll be keeping a good thought for you.

Meanwhile, this Friday the 13th/Full Moon combo fits in well with the little horror story I've built on my blog for the month of June.
Vickie said…
My middle is at a wedding (6/13/14) as I type. We have no idea if they didn't realize, wanted that date, or what.

Popular posts from this blog


Update on the water: the circuit breaker tripped, either due to a power surge when the electricity came back on last night OR when lightning struck in the area. My neighbor's electric fence control box got hit in the same area. He was able to reset the circuit breaker for us and we have WATER! I think I'll go do a load of laundry. Heh.

And the winner is …

Kitten with a Whiplash, who left two comments and it was the second (which had nothing to do with the contest) which won the prize. Congratulations, and since the Kitten was the only commenter who expressed any interest in actually winning it, I'm so glad the Universe took care of it. Heh.

What a weekend! But first, how was yours? I hope you did some fun stuff and got some necessary stuff done, as well. It's all about balance.

Saturday was our fun day (but we had to drive, drive, drive to get there and then drive, drive, drive home again, all in one day, boy was I tired). We went to my husband's granddaughter's first birthday party. In addition to a sweet little doll, suitable for ages 0+ (meaning it has no parts that will come loose, and do you know how difficult it is to find dolls for babies when you live in the Middle of Nowhere?), I made her this:

I haven't sewn anything in a month of Sundays, so was a little apprehensive about finishing it on time, but this p…


Well. Well, well, well. Should this morning's scale number be divided between two weeks, or did all of it happen this past week? It's an easy number to divide, and I've been consistent for two weeks, so it should probably be split, doncha think?

That means I lost three pounds for each of the last two weeks. SIX pounds total. Excuse me, I mean
SIX!!!!!! I'm going to do everything I can to stay on track while I'm gone this week. There's little more I can promise. I'm really motivated to keep it up. The dumbbells are packed (and my luggage weighs a ton!), I'm taking a thermos of water in the car and I know where are the rest stops are between here and Nashville. I think I'll walk a bit at each of them, then walk again when I arrive at my destination. Hope to get a total of 80 minutes done by the end of the day. SIX!!!!!!