Thursday, February 12, 2009

One week down …

I took a photo of my February calendar page for today’s 365 post. I’ve been X-ing off each day of Phase One as if I’m counting down the days to my release from the big house. Not a very positive attitude toward something that is obviously good for me and seems to be working.

I weigh myself every morning and despite a gain from yesterday to today, the total loss for this first week was 3.5 pounds. Not too shabby, especially for someone who is normally thrilled to lose 3.5 pounds in a month!

Mostly I feel great. Yesterday I felt my energy plunge and I was hungry a lot, but that was after three days of almost manic activity, so I guess it shouldn’t have come as a surprise.

We experienced quite a change in the weather beginning early yesterday evening. A very strong storm came through with little rain but a great deal of wind. Two tree feel across our road, one from our property and one from our neighbor’s. The wind was so strong that we fled from the second floor of the garage to the house, found all the flashlights and made sure the batteries worked and filled the dog’s water dishes. (When our power goes out, so does our water.)

Amazingly, the lights flickered only once, briefly, and came right back on again. The wind howled all night, though, and I have many, many tree limbs to pick up today. Our very large, heavy barbecue grill, which has wheels to make it easy to move, ended up on its back in the yard, along with one wrought iron patio chair.

We don’t get storms like this very often. The worst for us is ice, because when the roads are icy we’re pretty much stuck at home. Our road is one-lane, curvy, hilly and dangerous to navigate. Four-wheel drive is great on snow, but useless on ice. And ice frequently will knock out the power. Being stuck at home with no power, no water, no heat and no way to get out – definitely the worst.

On a completely different note, today is the third National Call-In Day to support HR676. If you’re fed up with the way health care is delivered in the United States, I urge you to visit that link and make a call to your congressional representative. One thing I learned during the recent political season is that one person does make a difference. And that person could be you.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...