Friday, February 6, 2009

Friday Quote Day

There will never be a day
when we won’t need dedication, discipline, energy,
and the feeling that we can change things for the better.

~ George Sheehan

I should have read this quote yesterday, which was, all in all, one of the suckiest days I’ve had in recent memory.

Except for the food. I was so angry, frustrated, busy and anxious that I forgot lunch completely. I should write a book: The Skip-A-Meal Diet!

Ah, well. This, too, shall pass. I’ve been saying that a lot lately, along with the Serenity Prayer and the little kids’ chant: “Okay, then, I’m just going to run away!”

Today promises to be another one of those days.

The new doors I bought Wednesday had to be returned yesterday because they wouldn’t work, meaning I have to use the old (ugly) doors that have been here for 30 years. This is good in one way and one way only: The old doors don’t cost anything.

(I wish I could get all excited about “repurposing” like those designers on HGTV. I must confess, though, that I really, really wanted new doors. Also? Using an old door for a door isn’t exactly repurposing, is it?)

One of the old doors has been painted, not very well (by me), and it will have to do until spring, when I can remove it, sand it and repaint it outside where I can a) see and b) use a sprayer device, rather than a brush. (They are louvered bi-folds, which are a bitch to rehang. ’Nuff said.) Two other openings will go doorless until then.

So what does any of this have to do with weight loss, running, knitting, fitness or health? Not much, I’ll admit. To bring you up to date on the aforementioned subjects, though, I give you this:
  • Weight loss: I’ve lost four pounds in the past two weeks.

  • Running: I’ve done a little treadmill jogging, but I’m still mostly walking.

  • Knitting: Two poufs are done, done, done, and I actually found a box big enough in which to ship them.

  • Fitness: I’m still not lifting weights, but I’m getting closer to fixing the rowing machine, which I feel gives me the best full-body workout.

  • Health: Sugar is poison for me. I’ve been rereading (again!) William Dufty’s Sugar Blues, along with Sugar Busters, Sugar Shock and The Sugar Solution. My husband also has been doing some CME which has convinced him that I probably shouldn’t be eating sugar. The South Beach plan and I are going steady (yesterday was our first full day of commitment, but we’ve been flirting with each other for the past couple weeks. See “weight loss,” above.)
So there you have it. My life in a nutshell. Which is what it’s been feeling like lately. Perhaps I should adopt Scarlett’s philosophy: “After all, tomorrow is another day.”

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Oh dear... sounds like things are a wee bit mental. I would have been cheesed off about the doors too! Sometimes you just bloody want something NEW, darnit!

Hang in there comrade!!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...