Monday, February 16, 2009

Whew!

I woke up – wide awake – at 3:30 a.m. After half an hour of trying to relax and go back to sleep, I got up, made coffee and sat down with my copy of The South Beach Diet. Again.

I have both the original and the “Super-Charged” editions, because I just can’t get enough SB. Heh. I picked up the original, glanced through the food list for Phase One and saw that no dairy is permitted.

No dairy?!? I’ve been eating fat-free plain yogurt about every third day for breakfast (with freshly ground cinnamon and an ounce of toasted walnuts – yum!).

I clearly – clearly – remember reading that fat-free yogurt and milk were permissible on Phase One. Turns out I was right: That food group was expanded in the revised version.

Thus the “Whew!” title for today’s post.

Nothing much has been happening except I continue to cross off each complete day of Phase One Hell, and look forward with great anticipation to Thursday, when I may begin eating fruit again, along with – occasionally – brown rice and sweet potatoes. I’m not one of those Dr. A. writes about who long to remain in Phase One, lemme tell ya.

All in all, it hasn’t been too bad. I’m seeing results and I feel well. I’ve also come to the realization that refined and starchy carbs are not my friends. If I’d been chowing down on fat-free pretzels and baked potatoes, I might never have figured this out.

Anyway, I finally got sleepy about 5 a.m. Woke again at 7:15, when light started filtering through the cloud bank. Today is clean-the-house day, and it’s spitting snow, which means mopping the floor will be an exercise in futility. The dogs haven’t learned to wipe their own feet, and no matter how well I do it, little doggy footprints still show up.

2 comments:

Lori G. said...

I have felt that kind of relief at finding out that I hadn't made a gigantic error...

You're really doing great -- and no, I wouldn't be one of the people who never want to leave Phase One.

We woke up to a light dusting of snow and I found cat prints in the snow all over my car. :-)

Doc Manette said...

I think you are doing super great on Phase One.

Enjoy the snow (says the person who hasn't seen snow in four years).

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...