Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Quote Day

“The greatest discovery
of my generation
is that a human being
can alter his life
by altering his attitude.”
~ William James

I only hope and pray that I’ve altered my attitude toward refined sugar and flour enough that I can alter my life for the better by steering clear of it. Them. Whatever.

I found myself craving crackers yesterday, and Triscuits weren’t exactly what I wanted. What I’d really love to do is sit down with a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter. But I have altered my attitude about that little indulgence.

So I tried a recipe for whole-grain crackers.

They are, like a very dry martini, an acquired taste. My husband assured me he wouldn’t be sneaking any of them out of the pantry. Why should he? He gets to eat saltines and butter!

Uh oh, there goes that attitude again.

Altering one’s attitude isn’t something you do once and then fuhgeddaboutit. Like exercise and applying antiperspirant, attitude adjustment is a daily thing. It’s been helpful to me – especially at restaurants – to remind myself that Dish XYZ will more than likely be there next time I eat out. Really, there isn’t any food I might eat today that won’t be around next week, or next month, or – please, God, don’t let this weight-loss project take this long – next year.

But if it does take a year, well, then I’ll have learned good and well that I can live without, um, saltines and butter.

1 comment:

Laura N said...

Isn't it strange what different people crave? I'd never dream of eating saltines & butter. But give me a carton of ice cream & it's history.

I'm finding it is taking a phenomenal amount of energy to alter my attitude, and I just don't have it in me right now.

I love reading posts like yours that share your positive energy. You give me some hope today.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...