Thursday, March 5, 2009

How to burn 1,000 calories …

in four hours. And break your back while you’re doing it.

Four hours for 1,000 calories isn’t really very impressive, is it? But you should see my floors!

My husband is, as I may have mentioned previously, somewhat domestically challenged. He figured out how to make tuna salad this time. (Last trip he learned how to make toast. I’m serious!)

What he hasn’t figured out how to do is mop a floor. Or, frankly, even notice when the floor needs to be mopped. He invariably spills a bit of coffee as he walks across a room, or some juice when he pours it from the pitcher. It’s just not on his radar to see if anything ends up on the floor.

Ten days of no Debbi and, well, the floors were a mess. Not any more! (Did you just hear Niecy Nash in the background saying, “Take off your blindfolds, and see what we’ve done!” If so, you may be watching too many episodes of Clean House on the Style network.)

For half of this job I got down on my hands and knees and really cleaned those floors – the hallways, bathrooms and kitchen got the royal treatment. The living room/dining area is very large, the table is on a large area rug and I made the executive decision to clean that space with a mop. Mostly because I didn’t want to further damage any vertebrae.

Murphy’s Law being what it is, our older dog chose yesterday afternoon to get sick. She vomited on my nice clean floor three times, once on a freshly washed throw rug and once on the just-vacuumed area rug. (She’s not ill; she got into the trash and ate some – oh, you don’t want to know.)

Anyway, that was my workout yesterday.

I’ve been catching myself listening to music lately with more of an ear for the beat, asking myself, ‘Would that work for a 10-minute mile pace?’ Not that I’ve ever been able to maintain a 10-minute mile pace or anything, but do you see where this is going? I may be getting ready to run again!

No promises … I don’t want to sabotage myself. But I definitely feel like maybe driving to one of those flat roads wouldn’t be too much of an effort.

2 comments:

Lori G. said...

So how many calories did I burn off by making a dull tan shower stall turn white? It only took me about an hour or so. (I had to stop intermittently b/c of the wheezing thanks to Comet.)

Our floor is just like you described and one of my tasks (that I've assigned myself) is to get my mop from my apt and bring it over to clean. A Swiffer isn't going to cut it unless it's a military-industrial prototype.

Your dog is keenly aware of clean places, isn't he? I remember reading a humorous story on how to be a cat and it said when throwing up, make sure you walk backwards to make it more conspicious....

The weather's (theoretically) getting nicer, the air smells better and I can see why you could be excited about running again! Go for it!

Laura N said...

Oh gosh, my floors are so gross. I got a Dyson vacuum a couple years ago & it never ceases to amaze me how much dirt & dog hair comes up from the area rug in the family room.

I know what you mean about music making you want to run. And warmer weather, too. Hope you hit the road soon!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...