Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Alrighty then

Love, love, love what Marla said today: You can have anything you want, you just can't have everything you want.

I know I waste some time, probably lots of time, during my days, time that could be used doing one of the many activities I enjoy or pursuing a goal. I can rationalize that by telling myself I have "balance."

Whatever that is. Heh.

The biggest stumbling block I have right now is that it's been a while since I've run, and it's hard to get started again. Each time I've started again I have to walk a lot. That's discouraging, even though I know walking is as beneficial to my health as running. The running is for the half-marathon.

Anne asked why I wanted to do another half. You know, I'm not even sure which half I'm doing at this point. There are two in November on my radar, one in Richmond, VA (I did it last year and the woman I ran with would like to do it again), the other is in Florida (my dad said he would go anywhere in Florida to see me cross a finish line, and he's doing soooo well that maybe this should be the year).

The woman in Richmond is having some personal issues and I think that race may not happen for either of us. Which is good – the Florida run is later in the month.

But the real reason I want to run a half is that I want to run a full next spring. I think it'll be good for me, physically and psychologically, to have a half under my belt as I start training for the full.

I guess I need to think on this a bit more. I appreciate all your comments, private and here on the blog; you've helped me so much.

The biggest priority for me right now (and a huge time-sucker), is working on the health care reform issue. It is always on my mind, no matter what other activity I'm engaged in. My hometown city council (Wilmington, Ohio) just endorsed Ohio's HB159, which will provide comprehensive health coverage for all Ohioans. I guess if the U.S. Congress can't get it done, we'll have to go state-by-state. Kudos to Ohio!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...