Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I think it's fixed, I think it's fixed

At least I hope so.

I've been having trouble sending attachments using my e-mail program (Mail.app). It looks like it's finished sending, but freezes up right at the end of the process, resulting in an error message. I've been using my Gmail account to send photos this week, but I've had at least one person tell me he got a blank page when he was expecting a photo of my baby okra plant.

Twice yesterday I was able to send small photos using Mail. Let's hope the problem is solved. I believe it's the phone line, not the mail server. Now that we've had dry weather for a few days, perhaps the moisture which creates static and dropped transmissions has dried out.

Of course if a mouse has chewed through that phone line, all bets are off. (That's happened before. Think twice before you decide to chuck it all and move to the country.)

Here's one of the photos I've been trying to send – my first sunflower! I planted a whole row of those gorgeous red ones that sell for three bucks apiece in the shops. They'll look trĂ©s cool in my redecorated burgundy/beige/vanilla living room.

I walked 6.5 miles yesterday because I wanted to see if there were any blackberries growing along the rest of the road that makes up my usual five-mile route. (Our road forks 3.25 miles from our driveway.) I found one little bush, not enough to worry about, really, although I picked what I could on the way back. I also went down to our pond yesterday to see if there were any berries there, but it looks as though the birds and deer got there first.

Sometimes I can't quite believe I'm foraging for food. Heh. Honestly, though, it seems like these berries taste immensely better than the ones I pay $3.99/pint for at Tiny Kroger.

Picked the first yellow squash yesterday, along with two more zucchini. Pretty soon I'll have to quit counting the zukes – looks like we're going to have dozens. I feel like Bubba in Forrest Gump, reciting all the ways to cook shrimp, but with a green vegetable that's much easier to acquire: zucchini bread, fried zucchini, steamed zucchini, zucchini and tomatoes, etc., etc.

How do you like to prepare zucchini?

1 comment:

denise said...

Prepare zucchini...ah...I don't. No help for you there I'm afraid. I'll eat it at a restaurant grilled, but the only times I've tried to cook it at home it's gotten slimey, so I stopped trying.

Your picking berries story reminds me that last year at this time visiting my family in PA and picking black raspberries on my grandparents property - YUM! There was a bumper crop last year. But as you mention, most years the deer get there first.

Since my grandparents are both gone now and the property is for sale, that was probably my last berry picking adventure. Good memories though.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...