Friday, July 10, 2009

Shall we try for four?

I can hardly believe I've walked 15 miles this week – five miles a day for three consecutive days. I didn't walk Monday, opting to work in the garden for exercise that day, but you know … the garden needed some attention yesterday and I didn't neglect it just because I'd already walked that day. Hmmm. Do you s'pose I can walk and do some other type of physical exertion on a daily basis?

Heh. Of course I can. The question is whether I will.

Right now I'm thinking I will.

I stopped to chat with one of our Amish neighbors the other day. She was working in her garden (which is much larger and much, much neater than mine), but mentioned she'd gone for her morning walk before breakfast. I can only imagine what breakfast must be like for her, since she has 11 children and a husband to feed. She must have been out walking at 4 a.m.!

The point being, the Amish work all the livelong day and still find time to just … go for a walk.

They do follow one suggestion that modern trainers recommend, though: They take one day off each week. On Sunday, they rest, spending their days in study and prayer.

We had a lovely rain yesterday afternoon and evening, and the whole world seems washed clean this morning.

I think I'll go for a walk.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...