Thursday, October 22, 2009

A time to plant

Looks like today's the day to plant the garlic. According to a Department of Natural Resources gardening calendar my neighbor gave me last spring, I should do it Monday. But with today's temperature expected to hit the mid-70s and then, beginning tomorrow, all-rain, all-the-time, for two days, and then colder weather moving in … well, today's the day.

I'm excited, can you tell?

My mother never used fresh garlic when she cooked. Our food was seasoned with powdered garlic salt or powdered onion salt, although she did use fresh onions. My grandmother said she never used fresh garlic, either, which is kind of astonishing, as she ate chickens she'd raised and named herself. You'd think they'd have planted garlic, if for nothing else than to ward off cold germs.

I, on the other hand, love the flavor and bite of fresh garlic. I use it in just about every savory dish I prepare: soups, stews, roasts, stir-fries, bean dishes – you get the picture. So the idea of being able to pluck my cloves of garlic from a braid I've created of bulbs harvested from my own back yard is extremely appealing.

I'm also going to plant some onion sets. I don't know nothin' bout birthin' no onions, but the bin at the produce market said "Winter Onion Sets," so I'm going to treat them just like the garlic cloves. If they don't grow, I'll have wasted only 85¢.

Can you believe that? I bought a lunch bag of baby onions for less than a buck.

Thanks for weighing in (heh), Greta, with your plan and I wish you continued success. My husband and I are one-seventh vegetarian, meaning we enjoy one meatless day each week. We've agreed that's about as vegetarian as we want to be.

Yesterday was a very busy day; we were gone from noon until 8 p.m., visiting someone in the hospital in Charleston, WV, which is a couple hours away from us. That meant eating dinner in a restaurant (I didn't get sick), and it also meant skipping lunch. I wasn't hungry before we left and I was determined not to eat just because I knew I would be hungry before dinner time. I've been trying to pound into my brain this fact:

It's okay to be hungry.
It's okay to be hungry.
It's okay to be hungry.

One of my best friends from high school, post-graduation, was trying to lose the Freshman 15 and she imagined that every time her stomach growled it was pounds slipping away.

I'm not quite there yet. But it's okay to be hungry!

2 comments:

Marla said...

Yes, that's exactly where my head is these days: it's okay to be hungry. There's something about the slightest hunger that sends me into a panic; I'm trying to remember the days when I was young and, like you, we had three meals a day and snacks were rare. I was frequently hungry before dinner, sometimes even VERY hungry, and it didn't kill me. I guess it's hard to overcome the drive to eat - it's a pure survival instinct and hard to ignore.

Sunny CA said...

I don't go hungry very much, although pre-diet I never ever went hungry! I usually have an apple or peach around or some raw veggies to munch in case hunger strikes or I alter the time of a meal. I especially hate hunger that hits after eating dinner. So for ex. if I eat at 5:30pm, by 11:30pm it has been 6 hours. I am starved by 11:30pm and can't go to sleep like that, so I will add another breakfast. If I actually do go to bed "starved" I can't fall asleep and when I do fall asleep I wake up ravenous in the morning, so that does not work for me. I have not set out trying to stay within 3 meals, anyway. I do what is necessary for comfort. If I know I must make it to the next meal I eat more. I can safely cut meals thinner because I know if I bneed it there are apples and carrots etc. When I eat lots of veggies, I seem to manage my hunger better.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...