Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ahem.

I'm not terribly worried about my results last week. Weight fluctuates from day to day; Sunday morning it looked like I was going to be able to report a loss, but I officially weigh in on Monday, so that's what I had to go with.

I've taken a few breaks over time, but for the past, oh, 10 years or so I've been trying to lose weight or maintain a weight loss. And seriously? I've been on some kind of diet or another since I was 11. ELEVEN! I used to work for Weight Watchers. I know what to do. I know what should work. If it doesn't, so be it. I'm fit enough to walk five miles a day; how many 58-year-old women can do that?

Also? Reporting results is not the same as asking for advice. Perhaps I'm being a big defensive here, but let's just all assume that I know how to weigh, measure, count, etc., and that I'm using data that a program or a device has calculated for me.

Seriously, if I write in a post the words "moving on," as I did yesterday, that means I'm okay with this week and I'm, well, moving on to the next.

So. Moving on.

I've nearly finished reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, and I don't want it to end. Michael Pollan follows the food chain for four meals, from source to table, and his skill at making this subject both interesting and enlightening is amazing. As a non-hunter myself, I'm riveted by his description of his emotions during his quest to kill a wild pig.

(On my walk yesterday, I asked a local bow hunter to please not kill the little twin deer who live in my woods. He smiled and said he was heading "up yonder." I noted that he didn't promise not to kill the twins if he saw them.)

There is one good thing about reaching the end of this book: I have his next one in the queue.

2 comments:

Sunny CA said...

I have only been dieting since 18, so you have an edge on me! I was a WW leader back in my 30's so I have also been that route, too. I have been mostly in all out diet mode intensively since 2000 with the occasional backslide.

Sorry. I was not trying to intrude. I also am OK with weeks I do not lose, but if I eat less than 1,200 calories and exercise in the 400 cal per day range I am virtually guaranteed a loss. Sorry that you aren't.

Marla said...

You can walk five miles in a day - you know that's the important thing!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...