Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Quote Day

It does not matter how slowly you go
as long as you do not stop.
~ Confucius

I'm composing this note on Thursday morning, as I'll be computer-less for the weekend. I may be eating the words in today's quote, depending on the weather. The forecast isn't great, but I think I can slide in to my destination without any trouble. Getting home on Sunday if the big "if" in the plan. I can always extend my visit if necessary.

My weight-loss goal for this year is to lose five pounds every month for 10 months, which will get me to a reasonably healthy weight for a woman my age. As you regular readers know, I only made it halfway for the month of January, and therefore I've adjusted my plan and extended my deadline.

The important thing, as Confucius wisely suggests, is to not stop.

I don't feel like I'm on a "diet." Especially when I'm eating home-baked bread, freshly churned butter and homemade orange marmalade for breakfast. I feel like eating moderate portions of real food will get me where I want to go, albeit slowly.

But I'd be here anyway, plugging along, eating something and not losing any weight if I didn't have The Plan. I happen to think that conventional dieting pretty much got me where I am today. Going back to the diet of my youth – made-from-scratch, non-processed, honest vittles – is something I haven't tried in the last 20 years.

It's about time.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...