Monday, May 17, 2010

Yeah! I don't have to wrestle with the hose!

I may have to start building an ark, however.

The county in which I live was under a flash flood warning last night, and we might still be under one. (My home is safe, but I might have trouble getting off the mountain.) The weeds are LOVING all this rain! Haven't checked the rain gauge, but it's been raining steadily all night. Even the asparagus tucked in next to the garage, under an overhang, are getting a good drink.

I've been a little worried about the garden. I planted a whole lotta stuff May 4 and May 7, and haven't seen anything sprouting yet. Until yesterday. I took my customary walk around the perimeter and found spaghetti squash and zucchini and black-eyed peas all coming up. The beets are doing well, I finally found one little carrot sprout and the transplanted peppers, cabbage and tomatoes are looking good.

My husband has to attend a meeting in Chicago next weekend and since I'm his chauffeur, I'll be going, too. It'll be fun to come back after three days away and see how much more food has grown. And when it dries out, I've got a lot of work cut out for me getting rid of weeds.

I spent all day Saturday on my ass, driving to a meeting in a distant part of WV, sitting through a luncheon meeting and then driving home. So taking a long walk yesterday was definitely on the agenda, and I really enjoyed it. Now that spring has truly sprung, and there's so much more outdoor work to do, walking for the sake of walking gets put on the back burner. But I should be able to fit in more walks now that almost all the seeds are in the ground.

Elora, thanks for the suggestion to buy a bag of dried limas. Too late ... I'd already found a package of seeds by the time I read your comment. Not a big deal, but it's a good idea and definitely one I'll remember for next year.

That's about it from the Middle of Nowhere. Hope you all had a great weekend.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...