Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Quote Day

Finish each day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day;
you shall begin it serenely
and with too high a spirit
to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have this quote printed out and attached to the refrigerator door. I remember exactly when and why I put it up there, and it has comforted me many times since that incident.

One of the tasks, if you will, for recovering alcoholics (of which I am one) is to take a daily inventory – what did I do right, what could I have done better, do I need to make amends for anything? It's a good deal, this taking stock on a daily basis. Little things don't grow into bigger things, and each day does, pretty much, begin serenely, with a clean slate.

Where I get tripped up is with my expectations. When I know something is coming up, I frequently play it out in my head, predicting who will say what and when and why and boy, does that get tiresome! Why should I experience the same thing twice? And sometimes three times, because occasionally there's a post-event analysis!

I'm writing all this in response to nothing in particular, but a reminder to myself that my days work better when I go with the flow. I read a book, many years ago, called Don't Push the River, It Flows By Itself, which left a strong impression on me that I don't have to be in charge. The Universe is guiding me in the right direction, and questioning the universe is altering the flow. A little touchy-feely, I suppose, but when I practice letting go, my life works better.

Which brings me back to letting go of expectations. I need to pay more attention to the here and now, and let the future take care of itself.
• • •

Marilyn, I love succotash, too! The frozen blend my husband likes adds carrots, corn and green beans to the mix. I couldn't find limas on the rack at the garden center yesterday, so I'll look in town today. I did pick up a package of Italian green bean seeds. Yum! I'll have to find a spot for them somewhere.

1 comment:

Elora said...

Debbi,
When you go to the grocery store, buy a package of small lima beans, soak enough for your row and plant them. Waaaay cheaper, and easier to find!

Great post, today, girl. Food for thought. Wonder what's percolating in that mercurial mind of yours... :-))

Elora

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...