Monday, June 14, 2010

Not ready ...

for her (my granddaughter) to go home.

for "vacation" to end.

for this heat and humidity.

for three more months of it.

for a marathon, or even a half-marathon, or even a 5-K!

Of all of the above, the only one I can do something about is the last. My granddaughter had to go home, as her summer is full of plans. Visiting me was the kick-off event! (And it was a wonderful visit, one we hope to repeat many times in the future.) Vacations don't last forever: bills need to be paid, laundry needs to be done, grass needs to be mowed – you know the drill.

We can never control the intensity of the weather, nor can we reduce the amount of time we have to endure it. As the young folks say, it is what it is.

That leaves me with training. I've been wishing, hoping, thinking and dreaming about running a lot lately. Summer is a sucky time to start training, but hey, it is what it is. If I'm going to run a fall marathon, or even a winter one in Florida, there's no time like the present to start training. The one thing that has gotten me off my butt and into my running shoes on a regular basis is a race.

Whether I actually run one this year or not, I'm going to act as if. I know what to do. Knowing and doing are two different things. It's time to do.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...