Tuesday, November 30, 2010

127.27

There's something about the symmetry of that number that I just love. And what, you may ask, does that number represent? That's the number of miles I walked/ran (mostly walked) during the second 30 days of my fitness odyssey.

My goal for November was to walk at least four miles per day and 125 miles for the month, and I totally nailed it. I will walk four more miles today (or maybe five, just for the helluvit), to complete the daily goal. I've been debating with myself (a dangerous exercise) about what goal to set for December. I'll report back tomorrow.

I've lost a total of three whole pounds in 60 days, or slightly more than a third of a pound per week. Pretty dismal, but at least I'm heading in the right direction. And I'm very hopeful that adding calories will, paradoxically, lead to weight loss, not weight maintenance or weight gain. If nothing else, at least I'm not suffering massive headaches, lack of energy and general crabbiness, as I did for one week when I kept the calories below 1000. That was brutal!

I've been knitting. I finished Little Red's hooded poncho (I didn't use a published pattern or I would leave a link), wove in all the stray ends and then "killed" it yesterday. Killing, if you haven't heard that term before, is another word for blocking but used more specifically when talking about acrylic yarn. I chose an acrylic blend for the poncho because it's for a child and because it was red and in my yarn closet. The lower edge, which was done in seed stitch, curled up, and so had to be blocked into submission.

I placed a wet towel over the garment and pressed it with a hot iron. The result is lovely – very drapey and the lower edge now lies flat. The first time I killed an acrylic item I was scared to death, as I didn't have a swatch to practice on. The results have always been surprisingly beautiful, and it's especially effective for baby blankets.

I also finished a pair of Fiber Trend's Felted Clogs. They should be dry enough to mail today.

Not sure what to do next. I had thought I might make a pair of flip-top mittens for my daughter-in-law, but they're moving to North Carolina and I'm not sure how useful they would be in a warmer climate. It's a given that I'll have to find a new project soon, though, as I can't seem to sit and watch television without working on something.

We had a delicious peanut soup with dinner last night. The peanut flavor was not overpowering, just a hint of it, and the rest of the spices gave it a complex flavor unlike anything we've eaten before. I used squash instead of sweet potatoes, and will definitely be making it again.

Finally, I ordered some photo puzzles on Friday from Mpix and they arrived yesterday! Talk about great service! I'm so impressed with these gifts, and I hope the three grandchildren who will be receiving them will enjoy them. I think this is a great gift idea for the person who has everything. The photos I chose were ones I took of each of the kids during the past year. I might make this an annual tradition, depending on how well-received they are.

Does anyone, other than toddlers, do jigsaw puzzles any more? Hmmm. I probably should have asked that question before I ordered!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Great job on the mileage. A good # indeed - my birthday is 7/22, so I use 7s and 2s in many PINs.

I'm on a sock knitting frenzy for Christmas gifts. I did the felted slippers a couple years ago - they were fun to do and great looking, but hard to get to the exact same size! Would love to see a pic!

gingersnapper said...

Wow! You've walked, like, halfway around the world!

Somewhere or other I read that a good way to break a plateau is to increase the calories a little, but to also increase the intensity of exercise. I guess that's supposed to persuade one's body to give it up.

I think you can still do the mittens for your daughter-in-law. It does get cold in NC - not as often, but it's nice to have warm clothes for those occasions.

denise said...

Congrats on meeting your November goals. And good luck with the calorie increase. Are you a milk drinker? Or a juice drinker? High calorie beverages are usually a no-no on a diet, but should be a fairly easy way to load in some extra calories if you're looking to do that. Just a thought.

I agree with gingersnapper that mittens are appropriate for NC. Here in Atlanta people wear gloves pretty frequently in the winter - but it just depends on how cold natured the person is. Personally, I hate wearing mittens or gloves of any kind at any time and wear them only when it's absolutely necessary - and usually only when home in PA for the holidays.

And, on the jigsaw issue...I LOVE doing jigsaw puzzles. Unfortunately, I lack both the time and space to do them these days. That's another activity I used to indulge in over Christmas vacation while at my mother's. Perhaps I'll resurrect the tradition this year.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...