Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Next time you think you're too busy …

I got a note from my aunt yesterday. She's 87, I think, and we have such a good time talking about how things were done back in the old days. My dad was the only boy and the youngest of six. They grew up during the Depression and lived both richly and frugally. She included this poem in the envelope she sent:

The Perfect Day
Mama's mama, on a winter's day
milked the cows and fed them hay.
Slopped the hogs, saddled the mule,
and got the children off to school.
 Did the washing, mopped the floors,
washed the windows and did some chores.
Cooked a dish of home-dried fruit,
pressed her husband's Sunday suit.
 Swept the parlor, made the bed,
baked a dozen loaves of bread.
Split some wood and lugged it in,
enough to fill the kitchen bin.
 Cleaned the lamps and put in oil,
stewed some apples she thought might spoil.
Churned the butter, baked a cake,
then exclaimed, "For goodness sake,
the calves have got out of the pen!"
Went out and chased them in again.
Gathered the eggs and cleaned the stable,
returned to the house and set the table.
Cooked a supper that was delicious,
and after that she washed the dishes.
Fed the cat, sprinkled the clothes,
mended a basket full of hose.
Then opened the organ and began to play
"When we come to the end of a perfect day."

Whew! I don't even think our Amish neighbors work that hard! But I guess if Mama's mama's family wanted to eat, stay warm, wear clean clothes and live in a clean house, Mama's mama had to do it!

I love, love, love new running shoes!
Yesterday was pretty perfect around here. I had intended to walk four miles, as I'd done five on Sunday, but I ended up walking to the post office first, and then continuing on my customary four-mile route. Total mileage was 5.8. When I got home, my new kicks had been delivered!

I've never had red shoes before, do you think they'll make me start running? And running faster? These are Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11s, recommended in Runner's World for stability (in other words, they're good for Clydesdales) despite their very light weight. They're said to have a roomy toe box, which I need.

I'm looking forward to taking them out for a spin today. Will limit it to four miles, though. I'm not ready for five miles a day.

YET!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Way to rock the walking/running - 5.8 is a good long way. And you're right on that "yet". If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll get there.

Love the poem, btw. I'd not have done well back in those days! I love my creature comforts.

gingersnapper said...

This is why, if the maintenance of civilization was up to me, we'd still live in caves and run around naked. I am way too lazy for that much work.

Those shoes are definitely fast.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...