Monday, April 4, 2011

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Think fingers drumming on a table top. Or nervous foot-tapping. Or Shirley Temple in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

Okay that last one was just silly.

My husband and I are waiting, waiting, waiting for tomorrow's doctor's appointment, where we will learn the results of the biopsy. I told someone yesterday that going in thinking the worst might be the best strategy, despite the risk of sending negative thoughts into the Universe. I was devastated when I learned the preliminary results of the biopsy – lymph node instead of the hoped-for parotid gland – so I'd rather be relieved than disappointed.

Relieved would be some kind of lymphoma rather than a metastatic squamous cell tumor. What a choice, eh?

In other news, I tallied my March walking results and fell woefully short of my goals. Understandably, considering we spent nearly a week without water and made seven trips to the doctor or hospital in less two weeks. I logged 70 miles (goal was 125), and averaged 44 minutes per day (goal was 60).

I think I'm done setting walking goals for a while. No sense in setting myself up to fail. The new goal is to get out for a walk whenever I can; the secondary goal is to enjoy it.

Which I did Saturday, at least for a couple of miles. It started out like this:

Beautiful blue skies, big puffy cumulous clouds framed by wispy cirrus. It was gorgeous!

Half an hour later, it looked like this:

Scary dark. Ominous. Threatening. Add your own dire adjective.
Had to walk fast to get back home before the sky started falling. We didn't make it; we got caught in a sleet/snow/rain/hail mixture that was quite exciting!

Clearly, we made it back alive. Heh. 

Probably won't post tomorrow, even though it will be easier than ever. High-speed internet service has come to the Middle of Nowhere, and ours is being installed today. As happy as I've been with my 3G modem, I'm going to be happier still with the soon-to-be blazing speed and unlimited usage. I'm so looking forward to finally being a part of the 21st century.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Keeping good thoughts for the best possible outcome.

Vickie said...

"Relieved would be some kind of lymphoma rather than a metastatic squamous cell tumor. What a choice, eh?"

I hadn't said anything because I wasn't sure if you knew (that was what you are looking at).

I was looking at those same set of options when I had a lymph removed out of the back of my neck in December and it did come back CLEAN.

My kids are 13, 17, 20, 21 so it would have been a very tough road for my house. I am very thankful.

I agree, it is best to be prepared for the worst. But there is hope no matter what the news.

E. Jane said...

Positive thoughts coming your way. No matter what the outcome is, there are lots of medical options that have had success! Take care--both of you!

Catherine said...

Thinking good thoughts for you both.

Shauna said...

Thinking good thoughts for you both! xx

MarilynB said...

You never need to apologize for writing about what ever you need to say. Talking does help and when you can't talk you can write. WE will listen, gladly. Here is wishing the best for you both.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...