Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Knitting? What knitting?

I wish I could report that I've been knitting up a storm, what with all the storms lately keeping me out of the garden. I've had plenty o'time on my hands, too, what with all the doctor and hospital waiting rooms I've  spent time in lately.

But I have to confess: If the waiting room has wifi access, my fingers are on the laptop keyboard, and not on the knitting needles.

Part of the problem is I'm paralyzed whenever I open the door to the yarn storage area. It's a 5x10-foot cedar-lined closet that is literally stuffed to the ceiling with yarn, more yarn than I'll ever have time to knit. Just peeking in the door makes me want to shut it right away. I don't know what's in there and I couldn't find it even if I did know.

So obviously one of my priorities ought to be to clean out the stash. Wow, is that ever an understatement.

I've previously done two or three major purges and am left with a wall of cotton, a larger wall of wool and a wall of good-quality acrylic blends and miscellaneous fibers. Atop each of the three shelving units are cones and cones and more cones, mostly wool and cotton. In addition, I have a large bin of sock yarn.

I hope to make a start on the Major Stash Purge today. I have some errands to run and chores to do this morning, but it's supposed to rain this afternoon. So if you're looking for me later today, I'll be upstairs, drowning in yarn.

I hope to be inspired to put together some kind of project to take with me to the hospital in North Carolina tomorrow. My husband's surgery is Thursday morning, bright and early. We'll be ever-so-grateful when we can stop waiting for this procedure to happen and begin looking back on it. We've grown and learned a lot from the experience. I can't say we wouldn't have preferred not to have gone through it, but it has been valuable and, on the whole, a positive one.

And we'll be positively thrilled when it's over!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...