Thursday, May 12, 2011

No gardening today

This rain would certainly come in handy in August, when we really need it. Unfortunately it's May. A big storm woke me a couple hours ago. Frankly at 4:37 a.m. I was more worried about lightning striking our water pump than not being able to plant stuff, but now, in the light of day, I'm thinking about how much longer it's going to be before I can do any more tilling and planting. Heck, I'm even wondering when I'll be able to weed what's already in there!

It's funny (not funny ha-ha, but funny interesting) how much attention I pay to the weather these days. It's not like I'm growing all the food we're going to eat for the coming year, but I did grow a lot last year and hope to do a little more this year. This very rainy spring season is just One More Thing to work around and deal with.

Yesterday I found two nearly ripe strawberries with no slug damage. I've been sprinkling coffee grounds around the plants and it seems to have made a difference. Soon we'll be having strawberries on our ice cream and cereal. I don't think we'll be harvesting enough this year for jam, but There Will Be Jam: Our Amish neighbors' strawberry patch looks amazing!

Denise, your garden and landscape projects sound perfect for you! Kudos to you for making your space beautiful and productive.

So how did you celebrate Eat What You Want Day? I took it to mean I could eat without guilt, but that didn't necessarily mean I cleaned out the leftover Easter candy bin at Tiny Kroger. And as the day ended and I thought about how good it felt to eat without guilt, I naturally thought about what a waste of energy it is to eat with guilt. Perhaps I should practice this no-guilt Eating What You Want more frequently. At my advanced age (I'm fast approaching a Major Birthday), I no longer have enough energy for guilt.

Today is Limerick Day.

There lived in the country a girl
Who thought she'd give gardening a whirl.
She tilled and she sowed,
Her plants really growed,
And she gave all the weeds a great hurl.

I totally crack myself up. Heh.

2 comments:

gingersnapper said...

I love that - "I no longer have enough energy for guilt."

Anonymous said...

Before I gardened, rain was a nuisance. My second garden, we had to carry all the water for the plants. Yeah, we check the weather - all the time!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...