Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Quote Day

You are never too old to set another goal
or to dream a new dream.
~ C.S. Lewis

I've no idea why today's quote seemed so significant when I was scrolling through my collection, but it did. I should have posted it during my birthday week. I might have saved it for just that purpose. As we age, we frequently forget why we do things, or what we're looking for, or, um … well, I forgot where I was going there. Heh.

I've been monitoring my food intake recently and am back to probably eating too little. As someone who has been a lifetime dieter, it's easy to fall into old habits, and the oldest one for those trying to lose weight is to cut back.

I'm not consciously doing this, it's just that I'm so busy this time of year that meals take a back seat. Breakfast is the first to go. Mornings are cool and pleasant, and it's nice to be outside pulling weeds or watering or planting. The two afternoons a week I work at the garden center I grab something light before I head out. The work is somewhat physical and I don't want to be weighed down by a heavy mid-day meal.

And, of course, it's salad season. I don't prepare meal-sized salads in cool weather, but when the late spring and summer heat is on I enjoy a big salad topped with beans, grilled chicken, feta or goat cheese and dressed with a light lemon vinaigrette.

Unfortunately, at my age and with my metabolism, fewer calories does not result in pounds lost.

To maintain my current weight I need to eat about 2000 calories/day. To slowly and steadily reach my goal weight, I should be eating 1750. I estimate my current caloric intake at or below 1200. (I recommend visiting this website to calculate your BMR.)

I'd like to think that, at my age, I might be satisfied with the status quo. Old habits die hard, though, and I'll probably take my last breath wishing I was at my goal weight. It's not too late.

Is it?

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...