Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The ABCs of Food

I totally stole this from D, who stole it from Karen. But really, we're all nice people and we don't steal, we share, right? Anyway … here goes:

A is for Apple. What's your favorite variety?
Honeycrisp

B is for Bread. Regardless of nutrition, calories or whole grains, what is your favorite type to have a nice big piece of?
Sourdough

C is for Cereal. What is your favorite?
Homemade granola.

D is for donuts. You might not currently be eating them, but what kind of you fancy?
Anything cream-filled.

E is for Eggs. How would you like yours prepared?
Either an omelette or deviled.

F is for Fat-Free. What's your favorite fat-free product?
I pay no attention to whether an item is fat-free or not. Been there, done that.

G is for Groceries. Where do you purchase yours?
Kroger, Sam's Club, the Amish market down the road.

H is for Hot Beverages. What is your favorite hot drink?
Coffee. Black. Hazelnut flavored.

I is for Ice Cream. Pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.
Vanilla (the good kind with the flecks of vanilla) topped with peanut butter and strawberry jam.

J is for Jams or Jellies. Do you eat them, and if so what kind and flavor?
I do eat them. Homemade strawberry jam, peach preserves and apple jelly.

K is for Kashi. Name your favorite Kashi product.
I don't buy Kashi products. In fact, I try not to buy "products" period. (And I have another post in the works about that.)

L is for Lunch. What was yours today?
Romaine with onion, tomato, sweet pickles and farmer's cheese, dressed with olive oil and vinegar.

M is for Microwave. What is your favorite microwave meal/snack?
Um … warmed-up coffee?

N is for Nutrients. Do you like carbs, fats or proteins best?
Despite the fact that protein is always the smallest percentage of my daily intake, I like it best.

O is for Oil. What kind do you like to use?
Olive

P is for Protein. How do you get yours?
Meat, chicken, cheese, dairy, eggs. Not whey powder.

Q is for Quaker. How do you like your oats?
Either in homemade granola or cooked with apples and topped with brown sugar and cinnamon.

R is for Roasting. What is your favorite thing to roast?
Potatoes cut into eighths, tossed with olive oil, coarse salt, garlic and pepper. Better than french fries!

S is for Sandwich. What's your favorite kind?
Grilled cheese.

T is for Travel. How do you handle eating while traveling?
I'm trying to stick with my plan and not look at a trip as a vacation from healthful meals.

U is for Unique. What is one of your weirdest food combinations?
Peanut butter, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwich. I think they're wonderful, but most people turn their noses up when I mention them. (It's my mother's legacy.)

V is for Vitamins. What kind do you take?
None.

W is for Wasabi. Yay or nay?
Yay.

X is for X-ray. If we X-rayed your belly right now, what food would we see?
Water. And coffee. Are those foods? Heh.

Y is for Youth. What food reminds you of your childhood?
Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake and my dad's homemade pizza.

Z is for Zucchini. How do you prepare it?
Zucchini relish and zucchini bread.

Should you decide to do this as well, leave a comment so we can go read your food alphabet!

3 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

I'm with you on the favorite sandwich, grilled cheese rules! Of course I'm extending that to include Tuna Melts, and my favorite weird food combo - a grilled cheese (Swiss or Extra Sharp Cheddar) with bacon, onion, and ... of course... peanut butter!

denise said...

What's up with grilled cheese lately. Saw a big write up about it on a website, which got us looking for the best grilled cheese in Atlanta, which spurred my colleague to go home and make a great one - and then rub it in by texting a picture to me.

Since the, narry (or is it nary?) a day goes by that there isn't some reference to grilled cheese.

I think it's some kind of message from the universe that I should definitely eat one...but I think I'll wait until after my physical tomorrow - no need to pump up my cholesterol with cheese before heading into the doctor!

Debbi said...

Hey, Denise, I hope your doctor visit goes well, and that you get to enjoy a big honkin' grilled cheese sammy afterward!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...