Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stats, and a change in plans

Water: Almost finished, one more 16-oz. cup to go
Weights: Done
Walk: 1.5 miles in 30 minutes
Meals: Two (lunch and dinner), both journaled

So, not great today, but I don't think I've halted any perceived progress (my husband swears I look thinner, but he's delusional). Unless exercise is more important than eating less. Then, maybe.

And now for the change in plans. The walking will have to be put on hold for a while, as I work on what is, so far, a mild case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot that isn't going away. Daily four-mile walks, especially when you're overweight, don't help PF. I've noticed the pain for about two weeks now, and had hoped for some kind of magic to make it all better.

I've had it before and it will eventually go away, but it takes a while. It also takes rest, ice and stretching. I've been doing stretches before I get out of bed in the morning, which is the only way I can get out of bed in the morning. But I kept thinking that's all I would have to do.

Today's brutally painful – and relatively short – walk convinced me that I'm going to have to move to something with a lower impact on my heel.

Thanks goodness I have an elliptical. I'm going to make a commitment to use the elliptical for 30 minutes tomorrow and Friday. I'm traveling Saturday through Tuesday. Next Wednesday through Friday I'll do 30 minutes a day. By next weekend I should be able to bump it up to 45 minutes per session and the following weekend I'll try going for an hour.

I'm not sure how this will work, therefore these aren't carved-in-stone commitments.

I can continue the upper-body strength training and the wall push-ups, but the lower-body routine is hard on my heel, so it, too, will be on hold until this pain goes away.

The best part of this change in plans is that I'll be able to listen to more audiobooks! My iPod runneth over, so I'm actually kind of almost looking forward to it. Heh.

2 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, and will be holding a good thought for your quick recovery. I'm glad this hasn't dampened your commitment, and I hope the elliptical is comfortable enough to use.

denise said...

Bummer...I hate it when good plans get derailed. I'm a pretty change-adverse creature, and as Kitten mentioned, it's great that you are making adjustments and not throwing in the towel.

And, while you're working on upper body - don't forget that core! I say this because I can't forget mine right now as my trainer put me through a good workout this morning that included upper body and core. There are oh so many ways to work your core laying down...

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...