Friday, November 4, 2011

What a workout!

Okay, so I got up yesterday at around 6 a.m. to get ready to drive to Tennessee.

Actually, that's a lie. I got up at 2 a.m., but not because that's when the alarm went off. That's when the phone, which is on my nightstand, rang. After three rings, I finally fumbled the handset off the base and sleepily said, "Hello."

I'm not one who panics when the phone rings in the middle of the night. I'm more likely to be annoyed. Especially when the woman on the other end said, in a slurred Southern drawl, "Is Eustace there?"

I'm also not one to be polite at 2 a.m. when I have to get up at 6. "No, you have the wrong number."

Before I could hang up, she said, again in that syrupy drawl, "Well, then, is Verna Lee there?" If Eustace wasn't here, I was pretty sure Verna Lee wasn't either.

I wanted to tell her to put the whiskey away, but I said, more firmly, "No m'am [oh-so-politely], you have the wrong number. And it's 2 a.m."

Click.

So then I was up for a couple hours. I went back to sleep around 4:30, got up at 6:20 and was on the road at 6:55.

Seven hours later I was at my destination.

And seven hours after that I was in a Mexican restaurant. In the interim I walked back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, a million times [okay, maybe a thousand] between a Pod and a garage. Lugging boxes. That, my friends, was the workout, which I will count as both upper- and lower-body and cardio. So there.

Helping someone move can be fun, under the right circumstances. We cranked up the music and had as good a time as one can, while lugging a thousand boxes full of someone else's stuff.

I slept poorly last night on an Aero bed (which, as portable beds go, is pretty nice), and am on my way out to get some food. The only sustenance in the house is a bottle of non-dairy, sugar-free hazelnut creamer, a jar of coffee beans [one major food group covered] and two loaves of two-day-old sourdough bread.

Don't ask.

After breakfast, today's [and tomorrow's and probably Sunday's] workout will be lugging those boxes to their respective rooms and putting things away.

So. Not the plan I planned, but the results will be worth it.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...