Friday, February 17, 2012

It was a crafty day, indeed

I ended up making 18 of the little square campaign buttons I showed you yesterday. I got them done fairly early in the day, and it rained all. day. long. so I wasn't able to walk outside. And, frankly, I decided a day off would do me good.

Knitters who give knitted gifts exhibit an odd behavior in the last few days before the holidays. If they've managed their time wisely, all their projects will be done, wrapped and shipped (or under the tree) well before the big day, and they will decide, with three days to go, that there's certainly enough time to knit another [hat/scarf/pair of mittens/pair of socks/bag/oven mitt/accessory of your choice] for [recipient]. All that extra time on their hands is burning a hole in their pockets, if you don't mind a mixed metaphor.

Well, I'm a knitter who wasn't knitting yesterday, but I was looking at a long afternoon and I was in a crafty mood. I decided just handing out campaign buttons wasn't enough, I had to present them. I set off  on the internets to find the perfect little do-it-yourself box.

Here's the one I found. There are lots more out there.

Turns out a pillow box is pretty darned easy to make, and it took exactly the right amount of time to make them. I just knew my cardstock stash would come in handy someday!


Our meeting last night was fun, and we added a couple of new members. Everyone is enthusiastic about the upcoming election, eager to work on fundraising projects and a membership drive and especially anxious for Democrats to take back the House of Representatives. Republicans, and especially the Tea Party faction, seem hell-bent on turning the clock back to the 1950s.

The fact that we as a group are, um, older (at 60 I think I'm the youngest) doesn't mean we won't be fighting for reproductive rights. We won't let everything we fought for 50 years ago be overturned by some whippersnapper of a man who has the financial backing of more men. It's not right, it's not fair and it's not going to happen.

Not if the Three Rivers Democratic Women have anything to say about it.

From pillow boxes to soap boxes: My, that was fun! Have a great weekend. Due to my commitment to post every day in February, I'll be here tomorrow. I hope you will be, too.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...