Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still bummed, but …

I know it's just information,
but it's too much information! Heh.
what's the alternative, really?

And how many times have I asked myself this question?

As the young folks say, it is what it is: I have a hard time losing weight, and that's a FACT. I would love, love, love to simply eat healthfully and exercise regularly, without needing the weight-loss reward at the end of it.

At the age of 60, am I too old to change this cycle?

I just read a couple articles on shopping habits. (The Forbes condensed version is here; the NYTimes Magazine longer article is here. Not sure how long the NYTimes link will be viable.) The author began his habit research because he'd developed a mid-afternoon cookie habit that resulted in some unwanted lard. He analyzed the cue-routine-reward circuit, changed the reward part and lost 21 pounds.

So simple. Sigh.

I'm not making excuses for myself, but just stating facts. The writer is:
  1. a man and
  2. younger than my children.
Those two facts are in his favor as far as weight loss goes. The fact that I'm an, ahem, older woman with an older woman metabolism is not helpful! Not helpful at all.

Back to the original question: What's the alternative? I've gradually but systematically been increasing weights, sets and reps at the gym. I'm doing some kind of cardio five or six days a week. The alternative this week will be going back to Phase I for a couple weeks.

If I didn't have such a lousy family history of obesity-related health issues, I might not care about losing weight so much. But as I've said here before, I don't want to end up dying early, as my mother did, or being in pain for the last 10 years of my life, as her mother and my father were. I'm not pre-diabetic (that I know of), but my dad, an aunt, my sister and two of our cousins were or are all Type 2s. I would hate to develop diabetes after all this work and effort to avoid it.

I love that a blog can be all about me-me-me. I can't express these feelings anywhere else. My husband is as supportive as anyone can be, but his BMI is normal, and when he gains a few pounds he's able to easily get rid of them. You guys have been my cheerleaders for such a long time, and I really appreciate your suggestions and sympathy.

I just don't want you to have to start sending get well e-cards. So I'll keep doing whatever it takes to save you the trouble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that you had a regain! But the way it works for me is, I can easily gain or lose three pounds in a day - heck, I think my record was seven pounds. You know as well as I do that you have to chart your weight over the long run, but it's still frustrating as hell to see that number go up.

I'm sorry I haven't been reading daily as I used to, been a little preoccupied with other things, so I'm not up to speed with what you've been doing. Are you doing OK with the SB? On the primal diet, shredded wheat would be completely out, maybe that's the culprit.

Shelley said...

I know, it's such a pain that weight-loss is so dang hard now. Back when I was in my twenties, I could diet for a few weeks and have a flat stomach. Now? Not gonna happen. Bah! Not much help, but I feel your frustration.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...