Wednesday, April 4, 2012

So what does it take to be happy?

Most folks think they need something (or some things) to be happy. Those of you who've been reading my ramblings for a while probably think I'd be happy if I were able to achieve and maintain a normal weight. And I must admit, I'd be pretty happy if that were to happen.

But that doesn't mean I'm not happy now, most of the time.

Maybe being happy means, instead of having more whatever, we need to give something up. Read this and let me know what you think.

I read the list aloud to my husband and he said, "Well you already do all those things." And of course I violated one by pointing out another. Using negative self-talk, I said I'm prone to complaining.

Those of you who've been reading my ramblings for a while already knew about that one. I try not to JUST complain, though. I use this space to work things out, tease out a problem, try out solutions, come up with new ideas. And, of course, ask – sometimes – for your feedback. (Comments! Bloggers love comments!)

I live a fairly isolated life, although that's changed a great deal since the 2008 Presidential campaign. (I tell people I wouldn't have any friends if it weren't for President Obama. Heh.) If I'd had a BFF back in 2006, I might not ever have started a blog.

I'm glad things worked out the way they did, though. The blog has had its ups and downs and I've occasionally thought about quitting altogether. I've taken a couple short breaks, but I think the only way I could stop blogging now is if someone cut off my fingers.

Blogging daily has become such an entrenched habit, something I really look forward to. I wake up with an idea in my head, make coffee, let Hershey out, feed her and fire up the laptop. I check my e-mail, browse Facebook and open a blank Blogger page. Sometimes (like today) my idea goes out the window because I've found something on Facebook to share.

To be trite: At the end of the day, the bottom line is I'd be decidedly less happy if "giving up blogging" were on that list.

Thank you both for reading. AND COMMENTING! Heh.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I always say blogging is good cheap therapy! Complain away! <3

Diandra said...

This is an interesting list. But giving up complaining? That would be tough. In fact, sometimes my complaining takes on a comedian life of its own, to the great amusement of my friends. I dare say my complaining makes the world a better place. ^^

gingerzingi said...

Oh man, that post - I need to do ALL those things.

There's some saying about happiness being when you want what you have. No, that's not it, but probably you know what I'm talking about. Instead of having what you want, want what you have? Maybe that's it.

There's a lot to be said for that. I have so many, many good things in my life that I don't appreciate, I only think about what I don't have. Recipe for unhappiness.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...