Monday, July 16, 2012

Pulling and dumping and sweating, oh my!

Well, I took the before-and-after pictures, but when I started weeding I did a different bed entirely. It is of equal size to the first set of pictures, but didn't have nearly as many weeds. I didn't take an "after" picture. Oh, and I couldn't figure out how to have the date/time show up on the photos, so you'll have to just trust me that the "before" ones were taken around 9 a.m. and the "afters" were taken sometime between 2 and 2:30 p.m. (Clicking on each picture will make them larger.)

 

This bed is about 20 by 35 feet. It's a section I covered with horse manure, but I didn't have enough cardboard or straw to kill mulch it. The weeds will pull out easily, but the same area to the immediate right also needed weeding and wasn't quite as, um, thick. So I started with it and am happy to say the sweet potatoes and basil now have plenty of room, and the sugar snaps have been pulled out. Along with half a dozen barrels full of weeds.

By the time I got done with that area, I was tired, but I promised you I'd work on two sections, and I'm a woman of my word. I didn't finish, however. It's just too hot by mid-afternoon to keep on going and I know when I start feeling dizzy that it's time to quit. But progress has been made!

        

This section is about 15 by 15, and has rows of onions and edamame. The edamame didn't germinate very well this year (note to self: buy new seed next spring), but there will be a little bit to enjoy. I think these onions are spring or green onions, not the big slicers I've been pulling for the last three or four weeks.

At any rate … I feel good about what I've done, and I feel good that I felt good enough to do it! (I hope that makes sense.) I just haven't felt like doing any kind of physical activity at all for several days. This is real progress, in more ways than just weeding a garden.

2 comments:

Winnie said...

I enjoy visiting you and seeing your garden. Glad you are feeling better and able to enjoy some time working it.

Unknown said...

Your garden looks a lot healthier than mine. We haven't had rain all summer, and quite frankly not even the weeds are thriving. Be careful in the heat!!

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...