Monday, November 12, 2012

8,036. Or 22.

Take your pick.

Today marks 22 years – 8,036 days – since I've found it necessary to take a drink or a drug, and for that I am truly grateful.

If you're curious about how I went to hell and back, you can read a bit of my story here. If you're curious about how I've managed to stay sane and sober for 22 years, well, that boils down to three things, really.


I credit my late sponsor for that third key. She was the most grateful person I've ever met, and she has passed that quality along to all of her girls. I'm not perfect. I get angry and frustrated, mostly with myself, but still, too often, with others. Eventually, though, I find a space and place of gratitude.

  1. Grateful it wasn't worse.
  2. Grateful it's taken care of.
  3. Grateful for what I've learned.

If you had told me then that 22 years later I'd find myself living happily ever after in the Middle of Nowhere without alcohol I'd have told you to go screw yourself. Except I wasn't much of a lady then and I would have dropped the f-bomb. I needed alcohol like I needed air.

One day at a time, month after month, week after week, year after year, sobriety has continually offered me a better way to live. I pray it continues to do so.

Thanks for reading.

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, I urge you to call Alcoholics Anonymous sooner rather than later. You'll find people from all walks of life who know you better than you know yourself. They will be patient and tolerant in a way no one else has been or will be for you. They will challenge you and cheer for you and help you help yourself. You will learn responsibility and service. And humility.

And if you live with someone who has a problem with alcohol, please find an Al-Anon meeting. The entire world would be a better place to live if we all went to Al-Anon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on 8036 AND 22! Huge milestone! Glad you found recovery in AA, I know that Al-anon really helped me, too.

Reading this post was a great way to start my week!

Vickie said...

Congrats. Great post and great day.

I have heard you talk about sugar/carbs many times over the years.

(I was looking at the bloggers listed on the side bar of Shrinking Knitter. Long time gone for many of them. I miss several of them greatly.)

MadAnne said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...