Thursday, March 21, 2013

Super-easy, super-cute Easter cookies

I know, I know, I'm dieting. Well just because I'm not eating cookies doesn't mean I can't make them, right? I'm hosting a bring-your-own-lunch meeting at my house today, and as the hostess I think it's just plain nice to offer something to drink and something sweet. To that end, we'll have plenty of hot and iced tea, coffee, water and, well, cookies.


I've had an egg-shaped cookie cutter in my collection for years, but have never used it. Seeing as how it's spring and Easter is coming up and I'm on an Easter crafty kick anyway, I rinsed it off and put it to work.

Any sugar cookie recipe will work. I roll my chilled dough between sheets of parchment paper with a marble rolling pin. You don't want the dough to get too warm or it will break apart when you lift the shapes onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.


First bake your cookies and let them cool thoroughly. Then whip up a confectioner's glaze. I added a teaspoon of vanilla to two cups of sifted powdered sugar and then whisked in evaporated milk (you could use cream), a little at a time, until the mixture was the consistency of thick paint.

Divide the glaze into as many bowls as you want colors. A little bit goes a long way. I made yellow, pink, blue and purple, but I had enough glaze that I could have done more colors. Then dump some coordinating colored sugar or sprinkles into shallow bowls.

Working with one cookie at a time, dip a pastry brush into the glaze and coat the top of a cookie, all the way to the edge. Then dip and roll the edge of the cookie into the colored sugar/sprinkles. Carefully lay the cookie on a rack or waxed paper to dry.

What if your cookies have angles – stars or Christmas trees, for instance? Let the glaze dry thoroughly, then paint a border of light corn syrup around the cookie. Sprinkle the decorative element over the cookie with a spoon and tap off the excess. Let dry before serving.

Cookies will be ready to display and eat in a couple of hours. I arranged mine on a tray covered with shredded purple copy paper, since I was fresh out of Easter grass. My husband tested one and pronounced them delicious.

I pronounce them … cute!


No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...