Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Stepping up the pace


This screenshot (my new phone takes screenshots!!!) was part of yesterday's 95-minute outing. I walked with my husband for between five and 10 minutes, then chose an interval run from my updated RunDouble app. This one began with a five-minute warm up. For the next 30 minutes I alternated 60 seconds of running with 60 seconds of brisk walking. A five-minute cool down period followed the run/walk portion.

I know I couldn't keep this pace up for an entire half-marathon, but, um, WOW! I never felt like I was dying during the speedy parts because I knew they'd be over in less than a minute. And I really pushed myself to RUN, not just jog and definitely not just continue walking briskly when I should have been running.

There are lots of interval options: 30:180 all the way up to 180:60. 60:60 sounded manageable, and it totally was. I'm so doing this at least a couple times a week. It will be interesting to see what I'm capable of, now that I'm not lugging around those 50 extra pounds.

Er, 51.5. But who's counting?

Will this kickstart my metabolism and result in a bit of a loss this week? I'd be lying if I said I didn't want that to happen. But if I don't have a bit of a loss this week, will I quit doing intervals? Not on your life. That 30-minute challenge was good for my body as well as my mind.

Plus, it was fun. And we could all use a little more fun these days.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

In the days before electronic gadgets, a personal trainer suggested the same thing with landscape - run to the first mailbox and then fast walk to the second mailbox. Telephone poles, fence posts work too.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...