Sunday, May 25, 2014

Let's get this party started!

So I just went to images.google.com to find a birthday illustration for today's post and this was the Google doodle:
I thought, "Hmmm, wonder who else is having a birthday today?" So I hovered my cursor and it was for me: Happy birthday, Debbi!

I shouldn't be surprised, since Google knows everything about everybody

George Washington convened the Constitutional Convention on May 25, 1787, the first step in creating our country's new government.

Also on this day, Babe Ruth hit his 714th and final home run in 1935, Muhammed Ali knocked Sonny Liston out in less than two minutes in 1965 to become boxing's world heavyweight champion and Midnight Cowboy – the first X-rated film to receive an Academy Award – was released in 1969, the year I graduated high school.

When I was a little kid, my birthday never competed with a holiday weekend, because Memorial Day was always May 30. That changed in 1968, when Congress moved four federal holidays to Mondays. Next year the holiday and my birthday are one and the same.

So how will I be celebrating today? Sixty-three isn't an especially momentous number … the birthdays with "5s" and "0s" on the end seem more celebratory, somehow. So we're keeping it low-key. We'll be saying farewell to some of the family reunion folks today as they head back to their homes in other states. We're meeting at the Dairy Queen and I think I'm going to have a vanilla cone dipped in chocolate, if that's still on the menu. I haven't been to a Dairy Queen in years, so I really don't know. 

I'll walk today, of course. I'd thought about walking 6.3 miles, but I need a little more distance to make my five-mile-a-day goal for this week.

And since we've eaten dinner out the last three nights, I'm not especially interested in another restaurant meal. I'll be cooking my own birthday dinner, probably my favorite chicken wrapped in bacon. Mmmm.

Way to party hearty, right?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

63 is 3 x 21 or 6 x 9. Good excuse to party. Enjoy your treat!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, chick! 63 sounds momentous to me - every year does!

I loved those dipped cones... and I also can't remember the last time I went to a Dairy Queen.

denise said...

Wishing the happiest of days for you today. Enjoy your splurge at DQ. Wish I could say I haven't been to one in a while, but alas I have been often in the last year or so (and it shows). But I always get a sundae or a blizzard, so I have no idea if they still have the dipped cones.

I hope you were able to find the cone and everything else you wanted to make this a perfect birthday!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...