Monday, July 28, 2014

The storm that wasn't

I'm absolutely not complaining. Let me get that out of the way right off the bat.

The weather forecast yesterday morning was dire, indeed. Big storms headed our way from the west, with high winds and lots of thunder, lightning and rain.

Boy, do we need the rain.

We did get a little, half an inch fairly early in the day. And then we waited and prepped and watched the skies. They got lighter. And clearer. The sun popped out. And the mountains to our west literally diverted those storms around us. Some went south, while others went north. We remained in the clear, despite my vessels of water and extra thermos of coffee and five loads of laundry DONE.

I'm really grateful we didn't get hit.

But we could have used a little more rain.

I experimented with dinner a bit, and I'm paying for it. A meal of ground beef with vegetables and rice has my right hip aching again, a pain I haven't had in a very long time. I can attribute it to nothing else but food.

Lesson learned.

My big physical activity yesterday (hah!) was finally pulling out the rest of the volunteer dill plants littering the front flower beds. Even with all the weeds crowding in there, it looks a zillion times better than it did when five-foot tall stalks of dill were obstructing the view.
I don't even like dill. I planted a little bit four years ago so I could add a lovely head of dill to each beautiful jar of pickles I canned that year. That's all I ever use it for. But dill self-seeds like crazy, and you never know where it's going to pop up. Or when. I haven't planted any new dill in four years.

And this is half of this year's harvest. I pulled the other half a couple weeks ago.
Today I will be walking and vacuuming and mopping, I hope. Seems like lately when I take a long walk I'm not much good for anything else, and when I do anything else strenuous or time-consuming I don't walk. But it's going to be a delightful day outside, one I don't want to waste. I guess I'll suck it up and ENJOY!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...