Friday, October 10, 2014

A little breathing room

Last night my husband and I and several friends hosted a reception and fundraiser for a House of Delegates candidate here in our district. I've spent a lot of time this week thinking, planning, preparing, and putting things together for it, and now that it's over I'm left with … ungodly amounts of crackers.

It's a darned good thing I know and don't like how eating grains affects me. The prospect of stiff, aching hip and shoulder joints should keep me out of the supply. Besides … crackers? Meh. They're easily procured, should we run out and I decide I absolutely have to have one.

We brought lots of cheese home, as well, which my husband enjoys but which we don't often have on hand. Most of it went into the freezer. Dairy doesn't bother me in the same way grains do, but since my weight has decided to stay where it is, instead of going down – as I'd like it to – I'm going to avoid it as if it were a rare, disease-causing bacteria.

Also? Cheese, like crackers, is pretty easy to come by.

The next political event will be a Get Out The Vote rally and pig roast a week from Monday. (I'm making macaroni and cheeeeeeeese. With, perhaps, a seasoned cracker-crumb topping. Heh.) But a week from Monday is great. There's nothing really hanging over my head that I have to do. Except:
  • Design and distribute a flyer for the pig roast.
  • Go to the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner Saturday night.
  • Make phone calls for three different candidates.
  • Work on newspaper ads for the candidate for whom we hosted the reception.
  • Pump up the social media volume for WV Federation of Democratic Women.
But at least the party's over. Heh.

Other parties, however, are just beginning. West Virginia's Attorney General has decided not to continue fighting same-sex marriage here.

Knock me over with a feather.

It's quite remarkable and rather unbelievable that this state, which might as well the the buckle of the Bible belt, has moved forward in this area. Couples have already been granted marriage licenses and officiants are ready to pronounce them married!

So. A little breathing room for equality here in the Mountain State, too. One love.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...