Saturday, January 20, 2018

It's been a year

I didn't watch the inauguration last year. I couldn't. Not only did America not elect its first woman president, something I'd hoped to see in my lifetime (and now seriously doubt it ever happening), America nominated and elected a sexist, racist, ignorant, opportunistic, narcissistic prick.

Yes, that's who the current occupant of the Oval Office is.

The list of Lies He's Told would take 2,000 blog posts. The list of Women Who Have Accused Him of Sexual Misconduct would take 22. The list of Golf Trips would take nearly a hundred. The list of Flip-Flops would have taken 10 back in April. Who knows how many now? I think people have stopped counting.

I have to think that most politicians lie. Many play golf. Most have changed their positions on issues at one time or another, and many have had inappropriate sexual relationships.

But for one man, who holds the highest elected office in our country, to have engaged in all these things, multiple times, is simply beyond the pale.

If Clinton had been elected and had done all those things, do you think she would still be in office, a year later?

If Obama had done one TENTH of those things, do you even think he would be alive?

Hypocrisy, thy name is Republican.

Hillary was right: You belong in a basket of deplorables.

I'm going to a rally today, to march with like-minded Americans who are sick about this man's policies and who are concerned about the future of our democracy.

All governments end. We may be watching the beginning of the end of our Republic. It makes me glad I'm closer to the tomb than the womb, but sad for my children and grandchildren, who will have to deal with the mess.

I want to hope we will recover. I want to think the damage won't be permanent, and won't take too many years to repair.

Most of all, I want to be proud to be an American again. I am not. Not as long as Donald J. Trump is President of the United States.

Today, I'm not going to suggest that you be kind. Instead … Be outraged. Be woke. Be strong.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...