Skip to main content

A new record!

Perhaps I’m returning to childhood, at least in sleep habits. Or maybe following the sage advice of Ben Franklin? Last night I was in bed (reading) as soon as Jeopardy was over.

I missed my weight-training workout yesterday morning, but more than made up for it by spreading five tons of gravel yesterday afternoon. If (when?) the WPA starts up again, my husband and I will be in line for supervisor positions, ’cause we sure have racked up enough experience in hard physical labor lately.

Five tons is a lot of gravel, my friends. Not only did it take more than 20 minutes to spread (my usual weight workout time), we’re not done! I got seriously dizzy late in the process and had to stop before I passed out.

I must say, I much prefer accomplishing a task to simply hoisting dumbbells. But I’m already beginning to see the benefits of the little bitty bit of weight training I’ve been doing. My husband and I moved a lot of furniture from his mother’s basement yesterday morning. And then – on the same day! – moved all that gravel from a big pile into a large area that is now a couple inches deep. (The gravel is for weed control under a beautiful birch tree. When the whole area is finished, I’ll post a photo.) Muscles matter, what more can I say?

To address a couple of things from yesterday’s comments … Laura, I do have a Garmin (the 205) and I was wearing it Sunday. Every time I thought I’d been running at a reasonable pace, a quick check showed I was a couple minutes faster than I wanted to be. Then I’d think, ‘well, you’re dong pretty good at this pace; maybe you really can run a little faster.’ Then I’d die. I have no discipline.

And Denise (who is apparently blogless, but I wish she weren’t, ’cause I love reading her comments) mentioned epsom salts. I haven’t used this miracle product in years and years and years. My mother used to have us soak sprained limbs in an epsom-salt solution. I think I’ll pick up a box next time I’m in town. Thanks for the suggestion!


Grumpy Chair said…
Glad you stopped before you passed out. Are you in a heat wave too? Moving five tons of gravel is quite an accomplishment! Be careful finishing it and stay hydrated.

I love the epsom salt foot soaks. After soaking and drying your feet, roll a tennis ball under your foot for a few minutes.

I had me "grr" with me this afternoon and will be wearing it tomorrow for the temporary order hearing.
G.G. said…
Ooooo--I have to give a shout out for the epsom salts. Epsom salts are a lovely, inexpensive friend to sore muscles (not just feet). I use them in the bathtub for a full body soak.

I hope that is not TMI.

Popular posts from this blog


Update on the water: the circuit breaker tripped, either due to a power surge when the electricity came back on last night OR when lightning struck in the area. My neighbor's electric fence control box got hit in the same area. He was able to reset the circuit breaker for us and we have WATER! I think I'll go do a load of laundry. Heh.


Well. Well, well, well. Should this morning's scale number be divided between two weeks, or did all of it happen this past week? It's an easy number to divide, and I've been consistent for two weeks, so it should probably be split, doncha think?

That means I lost three pounds for each of the last two weeks. SIX pounds total. Excuse me, I mean
SIX!!!!!! I'm going to do everything I can to stay on track while I'm gone this week. There's little more I can promise. I'm really motivated to keep it up. The dumbbells are packed (and my luggage weighs a ton!), I'm taking a thermos of water in the car and I know where are the rest stops are between here and Nashville. I think I'll walk a bit at each of them, then walk again when I arrive at my destination. Hope to get a total of 80 minutes done by the end of the day. SIX!!!!!!

And the winner is …

Kitten with a Whiplash, who left two comments and it was the second (which had nothing to do with the contest) which won the prize. Congratulations, and since the Kitten was the only commenter who expressed any interest in actually winning it, I'm so glad the Universe took care of it. Heh.

What a weekend! But first, how was yours? I hope you did some fun stuff and got some necessary stuff done, as well. It's all about balance.

Saturday was our fun day (but we had to drive, drive, drive to get there and then drive, drive, drive home again, all in one day, boy was I tired). We went to my husband's granddaughter's first birthday party. In addition to a sweet little doll, suitable for ages 0+ (meaning it has no parts that will come loose, and do you know how difficult it is to find dolls for babies when you live in the Middle of Nowhere?), I made her this:

I haven't sewn anything in a month of Sundays, so was a little apprehensive about finishing it on time, but this p…