Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The old grey mare and I have something in common

We truly ain’t what we used to be. I should probably speak for myself; the old grey mare may be just fine. I, on the other hand, am definitely not what I used to be.

I ran yesterday, four miles at the glacial pace of – are you ready? – 13:39. Parts of the run were fun (the downhill parts) but most of it was Just. Plain. Hard.

I had a post-run snack and then headed out to plant seeds. I’ve mentioned previously that I like to finish a project all in one session, and I had every intention of planting every seed I had, but after about 90 minutes I was done. So done. Unfortunately a little less than half the garden (it’s a big space) remains unplanted.

After I showered I proceeded to eat my house, an activity that continued for the remainder of the day. Good thing I don’t buy junk food; I managed to do plenty of damage with taboulleh (mmm) and Triscuits and low-fat cheese, oh my.

I creaked around here like an old lady all afternoon and evening. It was difficult to move, to go from a sitting to a standing position, to walk even. I had to remind myself that I’d not only run four miles, but I’d also done some hard physical labor in the hot sun and I’m not as young as I used to be. I fell asleep at 11 p.m. and the OTC pain reliever wore off at 5 a.m. Old people take naps, don’t they?

Looking outside right now, it appears that I have a small window of opportunity to get the remaining seeds in the ground before it rains. And rains. And rains some more. Which is a good thing – if it rains, I won’t have to wrestle with the garden hose.

2 comments:

carla said...

this whole post made me laugh (kind of) and nod (alot) and think (about how Im turning 40 in a few months. IM SO STARTING TO NAP. Id forgotten old peeps get that luxury!)

Miz.

Marla said...

Oh you sound like me today. The every-day workouts are catching up with me and my recovery is slooooow. But I can't really say I'm in worse shape than I used to be, because I was never this fit when I was younger!

Maybe the pollens are getting to you, it really does slow me down and make me exhausted; it's a big drain on your system.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...