Thursday, June 4, 2009

The best of intentions

Yesterday was National Running Day. Being a good little runner (and joiner) I added myself as a fan to their Facebook page and eagerly anticipated a gentle four-mile run in the morning, before it got too hot or too rainy.

If only I hadn’t called the dentist.

I had an appointment for a cleaning later this month, but I’ve had a toothache for a couple of weeks. I got brave Tuesday night and touched the offending tooth (the upper right back molar) and I swear I could have pulled it, had I been a tiny bit braver. Oh, and not driving my car at the time.

So I called to see if the tooth needed to be pulled prior to the cleaning or at the time of that procedure. Well, their 10 a.m. cancelled and if I could come in they’d take care of everything.

I wasn’t expecting that.

I had an hour and 45 minutes to shower and then drive for an hour (everywhere I go is an hour away) to pay for the privilege of experiencing excruciating pain. In addition to the cleaning and extraction, they did full-mouth X-rays, which I find very uncomfortable and which took the inexperienced technician way more than the promised 15 minutes.

Two hours and $225 later I was on my way. After picking up a few things at the grocery (because I can’t drive to the city and not pick up a few things at the grocery), I arrived home hungry and tired, but too sore to eat or rest. And definitely not able to run.

I’m feeling overwhelmed, still, at the chores around here that remain undone. But I can only do one thing at a time. Sitting in the dentist’s chair precluded me from painting doors, weeding flower beds, planting seedlings or cutting grass. The thunderstorm (and mouth pain) that followed me home from the dentist didn’t help, either.

But, as Scarlett said, tomorrow is another day. That would be today. If the weather cooperates, I’ll be outside most of the day. And part of that outside time will be my gentle four-mile run.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...