Thursday, August 6, 2009

150

Well, it's been a month of five-milers, and the total as of yesterday is slightly more than 150 miles. (To be even more impressive, that's more than 241 kilometers!) I have to say that I look forward to my daily walk, that five miles doesn't seem like a very big deal at all and that I'm going to keep at it.

Despite the utter lack of weight loss, I feel good about keeping up with the plan, come hell or high water. (My heart goes out to Louisville this week.) As you other weight-loss bloggers know only too well, not losing weight is an excellent way to get off track. But I can't quite convince myself that not walking is better than walking.

In other words, what would I look like if I'd stayed on the couch for the past month?

I can't honestly remember the last time I spent an extended period of time (as an adult) not exercising. I guess it was when my children (now 36 and 39) were young. We didn't think daily, intentional exercise was necessary back in the olden days. I joined Weight Watchers for the first time when I became pregnant for my second child and – gasp! – there was no suggestion from anyone that you should engage in any physical activity (and thus earn extra Points which you should then eat. Mmmm, Points!)

By the time I was in my mid-30s, I was working hard at something (Jazzercise, anyone?) almost every day. And by the time I was 45 I was running and going to a fancy-schmancy gym daily. Maybe a five-mile walk isn't enough to trick my body into releasing weight, but at 58 I'm beyond coming up with more games. Good, wholesome, healthful food in reasonable portions and five miles a day. That ought to be enough. If it isn't … well, I guess I'm just one of those fit AND fat folks the insurance companies love to hate.

And charge higher premiums for covering.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...