Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Quote Day

Great things are not done by impulse,
but by a series of small things brought together.

~ Vincent Van Gogh

In spite of the fact that my husband considers me the most impulsive person he knows (and I consider him the most careful planner, so hey! We're a perfect match!), I know that impulsive fitness just doesn't cut it.

In other words – and please, please correct me if I'm wrong – deciding to run a Sunday marathon the previous Saturday probably isn't going to get you across the finish line.

No, I'm not running a marathon Sunday. I might do one next spring. Maybe.

The first thing I need to do is to keep putting one foot in front of the other on these little walks I've been taking every day (or nearly so). As I said yesterday, the mental and emotional benefits are amazing (otherwise I'd be suicidal because I haven't lost any weight). Even the other physical benefits are pretty cool.

What others? Well, I'm turning into the Energizer Bunny – I just keep going and going and going. My physical stamina allows me to keep at it – whatever "it" is – until well past dinner, when I used to plop down on the couch as soon as the dishwasher was loaded.

Here's what I did yesterday (and yes, I want a gold star):
  • Made cookies
  • Made zucchini bread
  • Walked seven miles (in 1:56:08)
  • Mowed three acres
  • Did four loads of laundry
  • Worked a little bit in the garden (twice)
  • Made pizza dough and sauce (for tonight's dinner)
  • Fixed dinner
  • Emptied, loaded and emptied the dishwasher
  • Mopped the floors
  • Changed the bed linens
Actually yesterday I did anything that needed to be done as soon as I noticed it. That's a real reversal from my usual MO of waiting until I can't stand looking at whatever-it-is any more.

I'm going to a seminar today, and if I'm going to keep my walking average up I have to start walking right now. Even if it is foggy as a seacoast and I'll feel like I'm walking underwater. Hope y'all have a great Friday and a great weekend.

2 comments:

Doc Manette said...

Oh my goodness! I just read that quote yesterday in a magazine (I think it was a magazine? - short term memory . .. going!) and I immediately thought of you and your Friday Quote Day.

You are a super woman to have completed that honey-do list.

Here's your gold stars.

denise said...

"My physical stamina allows me to keep at it – whatever "it" is..."

I hope your husband is still walking so when "it" involves him he can keep up! ;-)

Would love to get to the place you are with your walking...but Hotlanta is just too...well, hot right now. I'm hoping the temps will start to be more reasonable soon (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...