Monday, July 19, 2010

Before and after

Hah. The hits I'll get from that title! People are always looking for before-and-after weight-loss photos. Won't they be surprised?

On Sunday, in addition to all the other things I did around here, I turned this (I actually began with half a bushel):
Cucumbers, fresh from Elora's garden. We traded dill for cukes.
 into this!
Fifteen pints plus two quarts of garlic dills.
All the little lids popped, creating a tight seal, and I now have more pickles than my husband and I will eat in a year. I threatened to send some to my oldest granddaughter for Christmas. She thought that was a dandy idea. My dad is coming for a visit from Florida soon, and I told him to make room in the RV for a jar or two.

Elora suggested eating a pickle whenever I felt the need to snack. She said that was one of her weight-loss tricks (she's managed to shed 27 pounds this year!). And I've read (because I read every word of weight-loss advice out there), that eating a dill pickle when you want something sweet is a good way to get rid of the craving.

Of course, you first must convince your mind that a dill pickle is a good substitute for a handful of chocolate chips. If you figure out how to do that, do let me know.

Thanks for all your comments. Ever since I said I don't get many comments, I've been getting comments! I didn't even ask (really), and I have received! I'm still getting them from the Inscrutable Asian Commenter, but they get rejected immediately. Power! Domination!

I should have been an Amazon. At least I'd be tall enough for my weight. Heh.

6 comments:

ws said...

the rumor I heard is that a pickle is a good substitute for a snack when you are craving something salty. That is what we did at the restaurant in Maine when we wanted to eat chips for a snack.

The dog's new nickname is Pickles and we love pickles here, seriously.

Shauna said...

Homemade pickles! OH SWOON! They look so cute all bundled up in their jars. Bravo :)

Elora said...

Believe me, it's a time-tested weight-loss trick that works! So, don't give away too many jars!

Elora

Mindy said...

Yummy! I love pickles! We didn't plant any cucumbers this year but I think a trip to the farmer's market is in order.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder. I love to snack when I read and I WANT to read right now. Those dill pickles make great mindless slow snacking while reading and I grew up with the great big dills from the meat market barrels. Now to see just how long I can make one last.

Cindy said...

There must be something to the pickle theory. Someone told me that they quit smoking by having munching pickels when they craved a smoke. Those pickles look really good. I am going to pick up a couple of jars and test the theory. One for work and one for at home!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...