Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The blahs



Well, it appears that maybe – maybe – I've been trying to come down with something the last couple of days, which could account for my lethargy and lack of motivation. I managed to do half an hour on the elliptical yesterday before I started feeling lightheaded, dizzy and a little sick to my stomach. I stopped and took it easy the remainder of the day.

I didn't even make dinner, and I think my husband was glad. I'd planned to bake a couple of winter squashes with a filling of ground beef, onions, celery, couscous and African spices. Whenever I say "squash," he gets this funny look on his face like I'm going to make him eat liver or something. Squash is way better than liver!

So we'll have it tonight, and he'll eat it and he'll like it (because he's eaten and liked it in the past), and the next time I serve it he'll wrinkle his nose again. Until he cleans his plate. Heh.

Woke up feeling okay this morning, not great, but not dizzy. It looks like I'll be able to walk outdoors today; the temperature should be in the upper 30s/low 40s – perfect!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiqgrgUUeDUAYA-9BwAc7QRhwI2brKYgF410paGaZUwjYFb43egzMf4yrpUASSw1CutuiMfqlvJjT0G-V5VOX84x_IOrWNaRBSjiAGd4-Czd4yhlBXVbwtfh3BYtu4ilJNDCdE0hL5PhII/s1600/024.jpgIf you follow my Project 365 blog, this image will look very familiar. As a run-up to the big birthday bash for my mother-in-law, I did a practice run on one of the treats we'll be serving. You "paint" melted chocolate on mini-muffin cups (twice, chilling after each application), then pipe peanut butter (or mousse) in the cups. Peel off the paper cups before displaying/serving. Very putzy, but very pretty, don't you think?

I've been trying to figure out how to create a cake that looks like a cupcake without buying the $35 Wilton cake mold. I'm making two kinds of cupcakes to serve our guests, but also wanted the bigger one for the blowing-out-the-candles ceremony. Will have to Google for tips and, as a last resort, I'll just bake a regular layer cake.

Okay, that's enough outta me. I'm glad whatever got me down yesterday has decided to move on. 'Cause I need to do some  movin', too!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...