Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ahh, spring!


I stepped on the bathroom scale yesterday for the first time in more than a month. I have seriously either not thought about checking my weight, or not wanted to check my weight. I consider it a sign of growth that I wanted to act on the thought yesterday. It was a face-the-music moment, and I was ready.

I also was disappointed, because I haven't been eating much from the bad-food category, and I haven't had time for snacking. I eat breakfast (whole-wheat toast or cereal with milk), lunch (leftovers from the previous night's dinner and a piece of fruit) and dinner (something healthful, because that's how we roll).

I'm up three pounds since mid-April. Grrr.

The difference is that I've suddenly, mysteriously, stopped walking. It's been more than two weeks since I've posted a walk photo on Facebook. I've thought about walking. I just haven't made it out the door.

Of course it's been raining for more than two weeks, so that might have something to do with it. Heh.

I've also started my part-time spring job at the garden center. I've been counting that as "activity," since I'm on my feet without a break for three afternoons a week, but I need to get real about it. Standing at a potting bench and carrying flats from the bench to the greenhouse do not, apparently, burn fat. Go figure.

Still, you'd think that with all the hard, physical yard work I've been doing here at home (in between rain showers) I would have at least stayed the same. At this stage of my life, staying the same is almost as good as losing.

The good news is that I had some bloodwork done last week and the results are all splendid. Great cholesterol levels, normal blood sugar, I'm not anemic and my thyroid appears to be functioning as it should be. Oh, and my blood pressure was 118/72.

Which begs the question: Can one really be fit and fat? Why, yes, yes one can. I am living proof. Heh.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...