Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Quote Day

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another
with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

I love this quote! To me it says live life large! Or live it up! Or live la vida loca! I realize we start dying the day we're born, but we sure don't need to act like it, right?

In honor of World Photography Day, I give you … [drumroll] … pictures! Of the beginning of the new herb bed!

I had my husband stand in the center of the space with his foot on a piece of twine, while I walked in a circle with a can of spray paint. It's probably not a perfect circle, but it will work just fine. I didn't want an irregularly shaped bed because it's too difficult to mow around. (Learned that lesson with the recently installed landscape bed, which undulates prettily but requires weekly weed-whacking.)

"Drawing" the perimeter circle with spray paint.

We then began tearing down my cardboard box collection and covering the inside of the circle. (Too bad I haven't bought any major appliances lately, one refrigerator box might have done the whole job. Heh.) Cardboard is an effective weed/grass killer, adds no chemicals to the soil and is free.


Never throw away boxes. They might come in handy.

I ran out of saved boxes before we were finished, but I remembered I had some cartons of Priority Mail shipping boxes stored in the garage for future eBay yarn sales. My husband said using these qualified as a government subsidy.

Once the space was completely covered with cardboard, he started soaking it with the hose while I started filling the wheelbarrow with compost.


Soak, soak, soak.

I gathered all the compost from two open piles and two bins and it still wasn't enough to completely cover the cardboard. It will be late September before I can get manure mixed with sawdust from my neighbor. I figure now I have one big open compost pile, except ...


Not quite covered, but close enough.  

I thought it best to go ahead and cover most of the circle with straw. There's a little space in the middle where I can throw coffee grounds and tomato peels. We'll put all the fallen leaves there, as well. A final layer of straw will go down as winter settles in and the whole thing will slowly decompose until spring.


A layer of straw finishes it off. For now.
Creating a garden in this manner is called "no-till," because when spring does finally come again, the area will be easily turned with a shovel. And I can continue to keep weeds at bay with cardboard and mulch, which will further enrich the soil. I did the cardboard-and-mulch thing in the asparagus bed and it's working extremely well.

So there you have it. If I keep this up there won't be any front yard left to mow. And I have several months to decide what to plant where, whether it will be all culinary herbs or a mixture of medicinal and culinary, and maybe even to start some plants. I'm going to try to save my one little rosemary plant over the winter (it didn't work last year, but go back up and read the quote. I'm enthusiastically going to pot the rosemary!). The current perennial herbs, which are in a planter in front of my house, will be moved to the new bed.

Today also is National Aviation Day, in honor of Orville Wright's birthday. I wish I could take you all for an airplane ride, but photos to celebrate World Photo Day seemed like a better option.

Have a great weekend! 

1 comment:

denise said...

Very cool...and an impressive amount of work accomplished as well. Can't wait to see how it turns out next year.

And, I love the quote. I need to take it to heart and be less fearful of failure - just go for it with gusto and if it doesn't work out, put it behind me and go for the next thing.

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...