Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday Quote Day

The impossible can always
be broken down into possibilities.
~ Author Unknown

What a week. I'm busy all day long, every day, and it seems like something needs attention every time I turn around. I don't even have a written-out to-do list, I just know that when one thing gets done, something else is right behind it.

I didn't used to feel like this. There was a time when I would plop down on the couch with a book or a magazine and read – guilt-free – all afternoon. I'm not sure when things changed, or why. I still read, but now it's only a couple pages right before I go to sleep. I have three months' worth of magazines to go through and quite a collection of books on the Nook, all waiting for their fifteen minutes at the end of the day.

My plan to drink more water, cut out snacks, start a strength-training program and take a daily four-mile walk has worked out well so far, and the accountability part of it – the daily Stats post – has been very helpful. I'm sure it bores you, if you even read it. And I'm sure you're not going to beat me up or make fun of me if I sputter or falter.

Yesterday proved to me how valuable that post is. I was very tired after a morning in the garden and could easily have justified that work as at least as valuable as a walk. I was smart enough to do the lower-body workout before I went out to the garden, I can almost guarantee I wouldn't have done any squats or lunges afterward.

The impossible (referred to in today's quote) is, of course, getting back to a somewhat normal weight for a woman my age and height. The possibilities are working well. If it's true that it takes 21 days to create a new habit, then I've given myself a bit of extra insurance by promising to "report in" for a month. I wish I didn't have to resort to little tricks like this. I'm a grown-up, I shouldn't have to. I should want to do these things because they make me feel good and because they're good for me.

My husband is a little worried that I'm doing too much. All I have to say to allay his concerns is this:

I don't want to end up like my dad.

1 comment:

denise said...

I think you're making GREAT progress this week towards your goals. I have started working with a trainer again because I'm not "adult" enough to do the right thing on my own...sigh.

He has me writing down what I eat, but I'm not doing a very good job of that either. And, I use the small squares on the form he gave me as an excuse that I don't have to write a lot of details - like quantities, for example...

One of these days I'll get it as much together as you have it. You continue to be an example to me of the way I want to live my life - setting goals and working towards them, feeling passionately about something and acting on it (as in your politics), accomplishing things every day (left to my own devices, I can totally waste a weekend - or even a week - without accomplishing ANY of the tasks - large or small - that I should have or even that I WANT to do).

So, recalling some of your older posts, I'll just say...keep on keepin' on, sistah!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...